none
Performing unattended Installation of DPM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install DPM 2012 R2 silently. I tried the instruction on this article "http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg513850.aspx" but it complains about the user. Could someone show me an example of answer file please. 
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 12:00 AM

All replies

• Try this one with corrected for R2

DPM 2012 SP1 automatic prerequisite installation.

Have a nice day !!!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:16 AM
  • This is for prerequisite. I actually want to automate the DPM installation. 
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:33 PM
  • From DPM 2012 R2, unattended installation command has been changed.
    Command is : start /wait [media location]\setup.exe /i /f <path>\DPMSetup.ini /l <path>\dpmlog.txt

And it is the same command for all the local and remote flows.

[OPTIONS]
    UserName = <A user with credentials to install DPM>
    CompanyName = <Name of your company>
    ProductKey = <The 25-character DPM product key in the format xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx>
    # SqlAccountPassword = <The password to the DPM$ account>
    # StandardAgentLicenses = <No. of standard agent licenses you have purchased>
    # EnterpriseAgentLicenses = <No. of enterprise agent licenses you have purchased>
    # ProgramFiles = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager
    # DatabaseFiles = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\DPMDB
    # IntegratedInstallSource = <Location of the DPM setup files>
    # ---For using a remote SQL Server instance ---
    # YukonMachineName = <Name of the SQL Server computer> OR <SQL Cluster Name>
    # YukonInstanceName = <Name of the instance of SQL Server that Setup must use>
    # YukonMachineUserName = <User name that Setup must user>
    # YukonMachinePassword = <Password for the user name Setup must use>
    # YukonMachineDomainName = <Domain to which the SQL Server computer is attached>
    # ---For using a reporting SQL Server instance in case of DPMDB in SQL Cluster ---
    # ReportingMachineName = <Name of the SQL Server computer>
    # ReportingInstanceName = <Name of the instance of SQL Server that Setup must use>
    # ReportingMachineUserName = <User name that Setup must user>
    # ReportingMachinePassword = <Password for the user name Setup must use>
    # ReportingMachineDomainName = <Domain to which the SQL Server computer is attached>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:09 PM
  • i used the same format but the setup complains about users. Invalid user. could you please show an example for username and is there any way that use encrypted password instead of clear? Thanks for reply. 
    Friday, March 7, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

installed DPM using a local SQL instance called MSDPM2012. Setup finished 100% without any prompts.  I ran the setup while logged on as the same Domain-name\Username as in the answer file.

[OPTIONS]
    UserName = Domain-name\Username
    CompanyName = Ur-Company
    ProductKey = AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE
    SqlAccountPassword = Strong_Password
    # EnterpriseAgentLicenses = <No. of enterprise agent licenses you have purchased>
    IntegratedInstallSource = F:
    YukonMachineName = SQLSERVERNAME
    YukonInstanceName = MSDPM2012
    YukonMachineUserName = Domain-name\username
    #YukonMachinePassword = <Password for the user name Setup must use>
    YukonMachineDomainName = Domain-name
    # ---For using a reporting SQL Server instance in case of DPMDB in SQL Cluster ---
    # ReportingInstanceName = <Name of the instance of SQL Server that Setup must use>
    # ReportingMachineDomainName = <Domain to which the SQL Server computer is attached>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:05 PM
  • I am getting the following error now. Here is the command that i am running. 

start /wait d:\DPM\SCDPM\Setup.exe /i /f C:\DPMSetup.ini /l C:\DPMLog.txt

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Sounds like you need to change the dpmsetup.ini entry from IntegratedInstallSource = F: to IntegratedInstallSource = D:

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:59 PM
  • thanks for looking into this. But I am still have issue. I'm getting access denied to access remote SQL. If I use UI with my cred i don't have any problems but with command line it fails. here is my answer file I am using. 

[OPTIONS]
    UserName = domain\myuser
    CompanyName = Company
    SqlAccountPassword = StrongPassword
    IntegratedInstallSource = D:
    YukonMachineName = remotesqlserver
    YukonInstanceName = MSSQLSERVER
    YukonMachineUserName = domain\myuser
    YukonMachinePassword = mypassword
    YukonMachineDomainName = serverDomain

logs located here "http://1drv.ms/1hCMMju"

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

Ok - For remote SQL Server it might just use the username.  Try that and see what happens.  I suspect local sql server didn't need that since we always use logon user credentials so that is why I didn't get same error.

YukonMachineUserName = myuser

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:44 PM
  • now I am getting different error. The setup looks for reporting service on DPM server instead of remote SQL server even though I specified in answer file to use remote configuration.

this is my answer file:

[OPTIONS]

UserName = mydomain\myuser

CompanyName = Microsoft

SqlAccountPassword = StrongPassword

IntegratedInstallSource = D:

YukonMachineName = RemoteSQLserver

YukonInstanceName = MSSQLSERVER

YukonMachineUserName = Deploymentuser

YukonMachinePassword = Password

YukonMachineDomainName = Domain

Error:

[3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Calling the method: CheckReportingSecureConnectionLevel
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Check Reporting SecureConnectionLevel.
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Getting the reporting secure connection level for DPMSrv003/MSDPM2012
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Querying WMI Namespace: \\DPMSrv003\root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ReportServer\RS_MSDPM2012\v11\admin for query: SELECT * FROM MSReportServer_ConfigurationSetting WHERE InstanceName='MSDPM2012'
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] * Exception :  => System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.GetWmiObjectCollection(String wmiNamespace, String wmiQuery, ConnectionOptions wmiConnectionOptions)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.GetReportingSecureConnectionLevel(String reportingMachineName, String reportingInstanceName, ConnectionOptions connectionOptions, String rosettaNamespace)
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] * Exception : Failed to perform the check => System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace
       at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
       at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.GetWmiObjectCollection(String wmiNamespace, String wmiQuery, ConnectionOptions wmiConnectionOptions)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.InspectHelper.GetReportingSecureConnectionLevel(String reportingMachineName, String reportingInstanceName, ConnectionOptions connectionOptions, String rosettaNamespace)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.InspectPrerequisites.CheckReportingSecureConnectionLevel(InspectContext context)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Inspect.Inspect.RunCheck(String checkId)
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Adding the check result entry for checkId: ReportingSecureConnectionLevel and result: 1
    [3/26/2014 9:55:24 AM] Information : Got Error Message: Failed to perform the check.See the log file for details and try again.

<CheckResult CheckId="ReportingServer" Status="Error" ErrorMessage="The instance provided is not a Reporting Server instance. Please provide a Reporting Server instance." Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="SqlAgentService" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="SqlServerService" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="SqlServerReportingServices" Status="Error" ErrorMessage="The installation of Reporting Services is not correctly configured or no instance of Reporting Services is linked to MSDPM2012 of SQL Server." Resolution="1)To use the local dedicated MSDPM2012 instance with DPM, uninstall SQL Server and run the program again. &#xA;2)To use the option of installing DPM with an existing instance of SQL Server, make sure that the Reporting Services instance is also installed and linked correctly. For details, refer to DPM Setup Help." Installable="true" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false"/>

<CheckResult CheckId="SqlReportServerService" Status="Error" ErrorMessage="Service ReportServer$MSDPM2012 is not installed. The SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services installation is not valid." Resolution="Uninstall SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services and then run the program again." Installable="true" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="ActiveDirectory" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="SqlEval" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="ClientTCPEnabled" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="RemoteDbDPMInstalled" Status="Success" ErrorMessage="Check Succeeded" Resolution="" Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

<CheckResult CheckId="ReportingSecureConnectionLevel" Status="FailedToPerform" ErrorMessage="Failed to perform the check." Resolution="See the log file for details and try again." Installable="false" InstallableForRemoteSQL="false" />

Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:20 PM