SCCM deploy patch status "unknown" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi team, I am trying to deploy some critical security patches to 2 servers with SCCM2012, while the deployment status shows "unknown" for long time and clients are not able to receive.

In client site, from "windows update" window, it shows the patches is up to date.

It seems that the client cannot get update information from SCCM/WSUS.

any advice please? thanks

Thanks and best regards, -- KF

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• you might need to reinstall the client. I've been having similar issues myself in regards to the "Unknown" status. The system still went through the whole process and even restarted when needed. But it would always report back the status of "Unknown". Only after i reinstalled the client and initialize the Machine policy and Software Update Scan did it report back as Compliant. For others it helped kick off the patch deployment.

If the box doesn't fit, think out of it.

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Friday, February 22, 2013 3:23 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi team, I am trying to deploy some critical security patches to 2 servers with SCCM2012, while the deployment status shows "unknown" for long time and clients are not able to receive.

In client site, from "windows update" window, it shows the patches is up to date.

Are you saying that these two servers did get patches from CM (checked the WindowsUpdate and CM logs?) but are just not reporting their status correctly?

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Friday, February 22, 2013 3:24 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:53 PM

All replies

• you might need to reinstall the client. I've been having similar issues myself in regards to the "Unknown" status. The system still went through the whole process and even restarted when needed. But it would always report back the status of "Unknown". Only after i reinstalled the client and initialize the Machine policy and Software Update Scan did it report back as Compliant. For others it helped kick off the patch deployment.

If the box doesn't fit, think out of it.

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Friday, February 22, 2013 3:23 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:58 PM

Are you saying that these two servers did get patches from CM (checked the WindowsUpdate and CM logs?) but are just not reporting their status correctly?

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

• Marked as answer by kongfupanda Friday, February 22, 2013 3:24 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:53 PM
  • Hi Kongfupanda,

I had same issue.

This was due to client machine was not identifying target server because ports were not opened.

Please confirm if ports 8530, 8531, 80 & 443 are opened from client end to SCCM & WSUS Servers.

After opening ports, My issue get resolved.

Regards,

Mayank Dhama

• Proposed as answer by Mayank Dhama Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:17 AM
  • am having similar issue but mentioned port are already opened in that particular segment only one machines showing "unknown" and i have reinstalled client. All the action times are appearing and client status is fully healthy but no luck. Any more suggestion !!!!!!!!!! 
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:26 PM
  • I am have the same issue, ports are open (ports 8530, 8531, 80 & 443) but in SCCM console client check results: No Results.

I am having SCCM 2012 and clients are on workgroup, windows server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:42 AM
  • Same issue here. It's been what 5 years since this post started and for most it's not resolved. I have about 200 out of 1000 machines with this issue so it would be really nice to know what is wrong.

Thomas Faherty

Friday, July 27, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Exactly, i have similar issue while no response.. where are the experts gentlemen ? Please help, another thread here with some screenshots.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6bde5817-5ffa-4409-92d8-0a6b3360732e/software-update-status-unknown?forum=ConfigMgrCompliance#6bde5817-5ffa-4409-92d8-0a6b3360732e

Anil Suthar

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:49 PM