none
MS Project 2013 Resource Leveling adjustments (Level All) do not save. RRS feed

• Question

• 7/22/14 - My resource leveling does not save, when I save my project file.

I used MS Project 2013 to do a recent project.  In terms of Leveling Resources ... I then opened my project again and was surprised.  I had gone through the process of leveling all the resources... and used the Resource menu, especially the 'Level All' functionality [a one-click option on the menu] to ensure I had taken care of all the leveling (in case I missed an activities).  I used it last, as a double check.  However when I reopened the file, I found the leveling did not save...

I just tested it again... using the 'Level All' functionality... it works...and looks great...no over allocated resources...yet when I save the file, close MS Project, open it again, the resource leveling I just did isn't saved.  

I just tried it several more times...and it doesn't save. 

I've looked through the Resource settings... and am not constraining it to specific dates....

Please help

Jarrell

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have never ever seen this. Can you sentd the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace  AT by @)

I'll have a look

Friday, July 25, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I'm having the same with a server project right now.
    PS 2013 SP1, no further CU. Project 2013 SP1, no CU.

Open - level all - save - (publish, but not necessary).

Reopen > unleveled again.

Any pointers/ideas?

Best regards,
    Adrian

Monday, September 8, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Checking in to see if anyone has found a solution to this issue. 

I'm experiencing the same problem, but my results are sporadic. 

There is one project in particular this problems occurs consistently. As part of testing I made a copy of the schedule in PROD and published it to our DEV server.  This issue did not occur on the DEV server. 

I've also tested this with other projects and have had mixed results.  Most of the time leveling is saved, but I have seen it where it's not saved.

Both servers are - PS 2013 SP1 on premise.

Thanks,
    Debbie

Sunday, October 19, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Just a couple quick notes to help isolate this:

1) In the server environment, there is a bug which makes the project look like it saves but doesn't actually save.  This is tied to a bad assignment (or something) and can be determined by hitting save - and seeing the save process takes virtually no time (both in the client and in the queue).  I've been able to clear this by removing the resources and adding them back.

Just mentioning this in case it's really the save issue (triggered by leveling) that is causing it.

2) Leveling is stored in the Leveling Delay column.  Take a look at that - and snapshot into Excel before saving and after opening.  See if you can confirm the Leveling Delay column is getting wiped out.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your assistance.  I've completed the steps listed above.

1) It appears to be saving fine.  I did see it process in MS Project & the Queue.  I also made some minor changes to a task name and that was saved.

2) The leveling field does get wiped out. 

Here's a screen shot of what MS Project looks like after I have leveled, but before I have saved, published and checked in.  As you can see the Leveling Delay column is populated.

Here's a screen shot of PWA after the schedule has been saved, published and checked in.  As you can see the Leveling Delay column is populated in PWA.

**** Interesting item to note is that leveling delay in MS Project does not match leveling delay field in PWA.  However, the dates do line up.  ***

Debbie Barnes

Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Here's a screen shot of what MS Project looks after I check it out.  As you can see the Leveling Delay column is wiped out.

Debbie Barnes

Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:17 PM