DPM Tape Utilization RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup DPM 201 using an 8 cartirdge library and so far we have 4 protection groups. The protection groups backup to disk then to tape.
    I enabeld co-location for the tape library but the backups on the tapes are scattered to multiple tapes.
    I would like to have our backups that go to tape use only one tape and when that tape is full start on the next availabe tape regardless of which protection group it is in. It seems more manageable as far as keeping track of where the data is and since we only have 8 tape it seems like a waste to not use all of the space on a tape before it is archived offsite.
    Also. I would like to be manually run a backup of all protection groups now to the same tape so that we can take it offsite and from that point have DPM backup to disk then once a week backup to tape.
    Can I create an initial backup of all protection groups to go to the same tape so that we can then take it offsite?
    Can DPM backup all protection groups using the same tape?

Thanks!
    John

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:41 PM

Answers

• In trying to start over with the tapes I went ahead and removed the Protection Groups since I received an error when trying to mark the tapes as free. But even after I removed the Protection Groups I still receive an error when trying to mark the tapes as free stating "The selected tapes cannot be marked as free because they belong to a protection group....".

I tried running a script in PowerShell that is supposed to mark the tapes as free (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399673.aspx). When this script is run I am prompted for Tape Location and when I put in "Slot x" the prompt returns with "Processing Slot List" but I still receive the same error message when trying to mark the tape as free. When I put in any text for "Tape Location" I received the same message no matter what I put in - "Tape Location: fxfxfx Processing Slot List" even though it is an incorrect Location. I've refreshed, re-scanned and even ran an inventory but still no changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Update - The problem was with how I was entering "Tape Location" - I did not use the "-". When I entered Slot-5 it works.

I should be all set.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by jfnva70 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

All PG's must have the same long term recovery goals in order for them to co-locate in the same tape.  There are lots of reasons why DPM is not filling tapes or using multiple tapes, see the following post:

DPM 2010 not filling tapes?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98

If set up correctly - yes you can get all PG's to use the same tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by jfnva70 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

All PG's must have the same long term recovery goals in order for them to co-locate in the same tape.  There are lots of reasons why DPM is not filling tapes or using multiple tapes, see the following post:

DPM 2010 not filling tapes?
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/e718e8e6-c0d6-496e-9407-ea1ccf51bb98

If set up correctly - yes you can get all PG's to use the same tape.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by jfnva70 Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:32 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Thanks Mike, I'll re-create the protection groups to have the same dates and see how that works.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:32 PM
  • In trying to start over with the tapes I went ahead and removed the Protection Groups since I received an error when trying to mark the tapes as free. But even after I removed the Protection Groups I still receive an error when trying to mark the tapes as free stating "The selected tapes cannot be marked as free because they belong to a protection group....".

I tried running a script in PowerShell that is supposed to mark the tapes as free (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399673.aspx). When this script is run I am prompted for Tape Location and when I put in "Slot x" the prompt returns with "Processing Slot List" but I still receive the same error message when trying to mark the tape as free. When I put in any text for "Tape Location" I received the same message no matter what I put in - "Tape Location: fxfxfx Processing Slot List" even though it is an incorrect Location. I've refreshed, re-scanned and even ran an inventory but still no changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Update - The problem was with how I was entering "Tape Location" - I did not use the "-". When I entered Slot-5 it works.

I should be all set.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by jfnva70 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:50 PM
  • I have updated my script to accomodate exactly this type of "typo".  Probably not the best type of error management, but still at least it report some kind of error now :-).

param ([string] $DPMServerName, [string] $LibraryName, [string[]] $TapeLocationList)

if(("-?","-help") -contains $Args[0])
    {
    Write-Host "Usage: ForceFree-Tape.ps1 [[-DPMServerName] <Name of the DPM server>] [-LibraryName] <Name of the library> [-TapeLocationList] <Array of tape locations>"
    Write-Host "Example: Force-FreeTape.ps1 -LibraryName "My library" -TapeLocationList Slot-1, Slot-7"
    exit 0
    }

if (!$DPMServerName)
    {
    $DPMServerName = Read-Host "DPM server name: "
    if (!$DPMServerName)
    {
    Write-Error "Dpm server name not specified."
    exit 1
    }

}
    if (!(Connect-DPMServer $DPMServerName))
    {
    Write-Error "Failed to connect To DPM server $DPMServerName"
    exit 1
    }

$library = @(Get-DPMLibrary $DPMServerName )
    if ($library.count -eq 0)
    {
    Write-Error "Failed to find library with user friendly name $LibraryName"
    exit 1
    }

if (!$LibraryName)
    {
    $library | foreach {$_.userfriendlyname}
    $LibraryName = Read-Host "Library name (cut & paste from above): "
    if (!$LibraryName)
    {

Write-Error "Library name not specified."
    exit 1
    }
    }

if (!$TapeLocationList)
    {
    $tmp = Read-Host "Tape location: "
    $TapeLocationList=$tmp.split(",")
    write-host "Processing this slot list..."
    $TapeLocationList
    if (!$TapeLocationList)
    {
    Write-Error "Tape location not specified."
    exit 1
    }
    }

foreach ($media in @(Get-Tape -DPMLibrary $library))
    {
    if ($TapeLocationList -contains $media.Location)
        {
        if ($media -is [Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.LibraryManagement.ArchiveMedia])
     {
     foreach ($rp in @(Get-RecoveryPoint -Tape $media))
         {
         Get-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $rp.Datasource | Out-Null
         Write-Verbose "Removing recovery point created at $($rp.RepresentedPointInTime) for tape in $($media.Location)."
         Remove-RecoveryPoint -RecoveryPoint $rp -ForceDeletion -Confirm:$false
         }
     Write-Verbose "Setting tape in $($media.Location) as free."
     Set-Tape -Tape $media -Free
     }
        else
     {
     Write-Error "The tape in $($media.Location) is a cleaner tape."
     }
        }
    else
        {
        Write-Error "Slot List not found $TapeLocationList - Try 'Slot-1' instead of 'Slot1' - or - 'Drive-\\.\Tape0'"
        Break
        }
    }

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:58 AM