Timesyncing with Linux Integration Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I recently installed Linux IC 2.1.2 on a SLES 10.2 box and would appreciate someone explaining to me definitively how timesyncing is supposed to work as the user guide is not a user guide, it is an installation guide, and after two days googling I am none the better?

After installation and a reboot, I can see in my syslog that a time sync channel has been opened:

kernel: VMBUS: Opening Timesync channel...
    kernel: VMBUS: Opened Timesync channel successfully:ffff81003e626e00

But all this appears to mean is that my hardware clock is in sync with the host, which is NTP synced, whilst my system clock just continues drifting. What's the point of that?

I also notice that one of the features of Linux Integration Services is a Pluggable Time Source Module. The only information I can find is:

"Pluggable Time Source: A pluggable clock source module is included to provide a more accurate time source to the guest."

and

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 x64 editions do not support using the Pluggable Time Source component. However, you can use the existing timesync component with the adjtimex RPM package (detailed in this document) to compensate for time drift."

So what is it? What is it supposed to do?

Thanks in advance for any information.

James

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• If you're running SLES 10, then you'll need a kernel greater than 2.6.16-60.66-0 for proper timekeeping support. That kernel is available if you have a subscription to recieve updates, and will be installed if you execute zypper up in the VM.

SLES 10 doesn't support the pluggable timesource module.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:32 PM