memory performance problem. Please help. RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is in the correct forum.

My problem is that every couple of minutes my computer bogs down. I opened up task manager and see that evry couple of minutes my ram usage goes up to 96-98% usage.

I have 8 gigs and something is eating it up. I rebooted and just left nothing but the basics running and it still happens. I have no idea what to check to see what is causing it.

I ran Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware thinking I have been hacked but they all come back clean.

The only thing I can see running in the backgound is MSE, Nvidia settings and printer (for wireless network).

My processes shows 108 with Internet Explorer (please do not rag me) having 80k as the biggest resource.

So is there a way to pinpoint exactly what is causing this?

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Now, please try to boot Clean Boot Mode to determine whether the 3rd party software cause this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:39 PM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:09 AM
  • IE9 is the best browser in some folks' opinions.  I happen to prefer it.

I'm thinking you have an Add-on that's causing the problem.  Add-ons are IE extensions that can be installed by web sites, and they tend to accumulate.

Try starting Internet Explorer without Add-ons like this:

1. Click Start then type add-on in the search box. 
    2. When Internet Explorer (no Add-ons) comes up, click it.
    3. Test for a while and see if it does the same thing.

Assuming this solves the problem, I suggest you go through your Add-ons and disable all those you don't know you need.  You can get to the dialog with which to do this by clicking the little Gear icon over on the right and choosing Manage Add-Ons.

Good luck.

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:03 AM

All replies

• Please, turn on other memory-related columns in Resourse manager.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Please, turn on other memory-related columns in Resourse manager.

Is this what you are talking about
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Is this what you are talking about

Yes but it does not show which process "eats" memory (if I understood the values correctly, they are very tiny in the picture). Please, use Rammap for detailed analisys.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Is this what you are talking about

Yes but it does not show which process "eats" memory (if I understood the values correctly, they are very tiny in the picture). Please, use Rammap for detailed analisys.

I do not know if this is the tab you need to see but here it is.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

The value of mapped file is very high. Please go to File Summary to check what kind of files are mapped.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Mapped files are files that are cached for faster access. When you look at Task Manager and see very low Free memory but plenty of Available memory, usually Windows will be caching a lot of files, which is to be expected and is beneficial because accessing those files in memory is orders of magnitude faster than accessing them on disk.

And when those mapped files are on the standby list, as soon as something else needs memory, Windows can give whatever is needed from the standby list. So low Free memory is fine, but low Available memory can be problematic.

For example, here is a PC with 19 GB cached, but 19 GB available, because almost all is on standby. There is no slowdown at all because this is expected and in fact makes the machine more responsive because that 19 GB is already in memory and does not have to be read off disk when something needs it.

But on your machine, almost all the mapped files are on Active, not Standby:

Getting back to what Juke said, on the File Summary tab in RamMap, sort by Active and see what is at the top of the list. On the machine where Cached was 19 GB but only 300 MB of that was Active, the biggest chunk of Active was the Security log (security.evtx). So I'm curious to see what is using so much in Active on yours.

Also something to try is to go to the Empty menu option in RamMap and select Empty System Working Set, as this will move the file system cache from the Active list over to the Standby list, making the memory available to other applications.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:41 PM
  • there is a mkv file wich is using 246,888K but i am not watching that particular movie. Sorry it is in standby.

i really believe now that it is a virus but scanning that file shows nothing wrong. if i use malwarebytes i get a "windows explorer stoppped working"

i am afraid to just delete the file not knowing for sure what it is.

On the active list the biggest one is a system32\winevt\security.evtx with about 20,396K

I have been about a constant 3,100 to 4,500 MB of memory in use wich i think is still too high.

• Edited by antonio8 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:48 AM left out
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

Please post the screenshot of that File Summary here.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Here is the Active and then the Standby
    • Edited by antonio8 Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:39 AM wording
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:37 AM
  • sorry i do not know how to make them more legible to read.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Let's boot the computer in Safe Mode to see whether it makes any differences.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Sorry so long to get back.

Booted in safe mode and ran for about 6 hours while out running errands. Got back at seen the mas was about 1,082 MB in use and it drooped to as low as 880 MB.

Maybe I do have to many process running at once?

Friday, August 26, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

Now, please try to boot Clean Boot Mode to determine whether the 3rd party software cause this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Friday, August 26, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Alright from I can tell it is a problem with internet explorer. It see,s to having a memory leak.

When I end the process the memory usage drops down to about 1,500 MB. For some reason when I close the browser and/or all the tabs the memory stays open until I end the process.

I know ie9 isn't the best browser but I like the way that the favorites section works.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 1:28 AM
  • IE9 is the best browser in some folks' opinions.  I happen to prefer it.

I'm thinking you have an Add-on that's causing the problem.  Add-ons are IE extensions that can be installed by web sites, and they tend to accumulate.

Try starting Internet Explorer without Add-ons like this:

1. Click Start then type add-on in the search box. 
    2. When Internet Explorer (no Add-ons) comes up, click it.
    3. Test for a while and see if it does the same thing.

Assuming this solves the problem, I suggest you go through your Add-ons and disable all those you don't know you need.  You can get to the dialog with which to do this by clicking the little Gear icon over on the right and choosing Manage Add-Ons.

Good luck.

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi all,

i have a similar problem with my Windows 2008 R2 Domaincontroller. The Machine has 4GB of RAM and all of it is in use (about 96%)

Taskmanager shows cached/available ram very low:

RAMMap shows, that the security.evtx logfile is the biggest consumer of ram (in File summary Tab about 3,1GB !), so i think here is my problem.

The Question is: Why does the security log eat up all of the memory? Is there any setting to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:33 PM
  • So, i have found the root cause of this problem. Sometimes the answer is near.

In Technet, Microsoft says that the Eventlog system in Windows 2008 has been changed to not use any more memory-mapped files for eventlogs.

This seems not to be true. The Size of my Security Eventlog was about 4GB and 3GB was mapped to ram.

After clearing the security log, +3,2GB of memory was free again:

So it seems, that Windows 2008 R2 still uses memory-mapped files for eventlogs. We have now limited the total eventlog size to 1,5GB, which is not perfect for us, because the security log is full and gets overwritten after only 1 day. This makes troubleshooting harder for us :-(

Could some Microsoft Engineer confirm this?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Generally speaking, Windows puts some effort into caching big files if it has otherwised unused memory.  I have, at the moment for example, many very large .pst files showing Total values well over 1 GB each in RamMap.  However, they don't take up much room in the Active column, which is different from the file you're showing.  So what you've identified does seem to be an issue... 

Perhaps something is causing the logging of a large number of events in your Windows Security event log...

I'm sorry for the obvious question, but have you looked into the Security log with the Event Viewer to see if there are an inordinate number of unexpected events being logged?  Perhaps your server is being attacked, or something is configured incorrectly, causing a large logging load.  I can imagine that beyond the RAM usage this could also slow the performance of your server.

I looked at my own security.evtx entry in the File Summary tab, and it is showing a mere 976K Total, with 844K Active.  After I opened the Security event log just to view the entries, both counts went up, but only a little - less than 10% to 1036K with 904K Active.  But this is a workstation, not a server.

As a side note, on a server, the total Security event log size may be configured to be very large by default than on a workstation (mine tops out at 20480 KB Maximum Log Size).  You can see what it's set to when you bring up the Event Viewer, right-click on the Security log, and choose Properties.  I vaguely remember there were limitations that keep such logs from growing into the gigabyte sizes, though my experience is with Server 2003.  Some searching turns up articles on the subject, e.g.: http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/tonymurray/archive/2006/09/01/Security-logs-and-the-_2200_Maximum-event-log-size_2200_-Group-Policy-setting.aspx

-Noel

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hello,

our Domaincontroller is logging up to 35 Events per second. After 1 hour, the Securitylog has a size of 60MB.

the Log Entrys seems to be normal, nothing points to an attack or something like that.

I think the number of events is an normal behaviour on a domaincontroller. But it is a problem, that the eventlog gots mapped to RAM in it's complete size...

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:46 PM