Random video crashes caused by directx RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a built machine, asus p5e3 motherboard, nvidia geforce gtx 280 2797 mb, intel dual quad core 2.5 ghz processor with 4 gigs ram with win7 64 bit (no wonder why im having issues).  I have stressed tested every component on my machine multiple times and have established it has nothing to do with hardware and all software.  The issue is when I try to play any game, i get either gameplay or old nintendo style video crashes with the extreme box like pixalation which then causes me to force the machine to crash.  Games like world of warcraft, starcraft 2, aliens versus predator, call of duty: modern warefare all have the same issues and tried to turn to an IT buddy but he said its beyond him as to why.  So far I can get the initial video in world of warcraft: cataclysm and then it crashes.  Star craft 2 gets as far as almost getting to the log in screen before it crashes.  aliens versus predator doesnt even make to any loading screen it just black screens and video crash and not much else to discuss.  Ive looked over all over for various ways to fix it.  Heres what i have done thus far

reinstalled windows 7

stressed tested each part and multimetered out power supply

updated every single component to the absolute latest driver possible I can find

ran AVG reg scanner and fixer

ran Hijackthis

reinstalled each game after uninstal

called those games' online tech help told me to refer to windows tech help

called windows tech help, told me to refer to graphic cards manufacter

called graphic card manufacter told to refer to game developer

and im ALL outa ideas how to fix this machine.  My IT buddy is going to college atm so though he is not certified, he has always been able to tell me what i have done, or what needs to be done to fix any issue i have.  His thoughts were a driver issue with directx 11 and the games software, which could possibly cause a video error but he wasnt sure as he could not get any error message because the whole computer would crash.  Lookin for anyone who knows about how to debug this issue.  Thank you.

Monday, December 27, 2010 4:34 AM

All replies

• I also forgot to mention, i have ran disk cleaer, defrag, have windows updates turned on.  I also installed latest realtek drivers as i read this was one of the many causes. Before this issue I was getting that annoying Kernal power error 41: your system has not been shut done properly and crashed and appears i still am from the log on the event viewer.  If anyone knows anything on how to help me, please.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 4:44 AM
  • Do you get a BSOD?

If yes, please start the Windows Explorer and go to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. Next, copy the dmp files to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your public Skydrive [1] folder and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, December 27, 2010 2:50 PM
  • i have been having this exact same problem as well. almost the same rig as you with the exceptions: msi motherboard and a nvidia gt 220 video card. i have had this computer for a while now and it worked fine for almost the whole first year, i stopped playing games on it for a while then come back and poof, same exact problem "BSOD". did you ever get it fixed and if so how ?
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:07 AM