none
problems with system restore points in Win 8.1 (keep increasing in size)

Question

• Hi,

I was sent here by Microsoft Support who seem to have no idea of the mechanics of System Restore and what could interfere with it. I've no idea where to post this, so I hope you can help in that.

I have the problem that my System Restore point (only a single point) keeps increasing rapidly in size from a few Mb to many Gb and even fills the C drive if I don't stop it. Setting a limit to the size doesn't help (in System Restore or VSS), as it ignores it and increases the limit. I have tried all the usual (sfc, DISM, chkdsk, several antivirus and malware programs) with no success.

Obviously, I can turn off System Restore, but that isn't really something I want to do.

Sunday, December 14, 2014 12:05 PM

Answers

• After testing various programmes over several weeks, I've found it is due to the Automatic Fragmentation option of Diskeeper using a method that is supposedly optimised for drives with VSS enabled volumes
    • Marked as answer by Tombar1 Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:55 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:55 PM

All replies

• What happens if you create another user account with administrative privileges and recheck the issue?

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Sunday, December 14, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Check is there are any errors in Event logs and do system consistency check (sfc). It is too few info to provide any other good response at this point.

Size of backup mechanism depends on what you are saving. here is an article that aims at W 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-much-disk-space-does-system-restore-require

Regards

Milos

Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:26 PM
  • What happens if you create another user account with administrative privileges and recheck the issue?

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

It just does the same
    Monday, December 15, 2014 8:33 AM
  • Sorry _ i didn't give full details, as I thought the idea in this forum was to point me in the right direction of where to post it, not solve it.

I spend my time looking in the Event log and haven't seen anything, but what message would you expect saying the System Restore file is constantly increasing?

As I said before, I've run sfc,  DISM and chkdsk many many times

I'm using Win 8.1. If I use the System Restore setup or VSS and set a maximum size, say 12 Gb or 20 Gb, the system ignores it and keeps increasing the size of the file (without stopping it manually, it takes up the whole C drive).

Just to be clear, this is not a set of system restore points - it is only 1

Monday, December 15, 2014 8:42 AM
  • The same thing happens - also in Safe Mode
    Monday, December 15, 2014 8:44 AM
  • No ideas?
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, this problem maybe not caused by System backup. If you delete all system restore point, will these space be released? If that it is, this problem can be caused by system backup, if not, it should caused by other apps.

Please follow my suppose to make a test on your system, if there is any progress, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi Roger,

I only have 1 system restore point, not several. If I delete it or turn off system restore, then turn it back on, all the space is released, then it starts doing exactly the same thing.

When you say "system backup", do you mean generation of system restore points or an actual backup? i don't use MSBackup.

It's quite possible that it is caused by some other app, but I've turned off everything that I thought might access this and it's made no difference. My reason for coming here (and to MS before) was that I hoped someone might know how normal system restore works in terms of programming and what programmes might interfere with it

I was going to attach images showing what's in the System Volume Information folder (lots of files that shouldn't be), but it won't let me - it says my account has to be validated, but doesn't say how to do that

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:48 PM
  • When you say "system backup", do you mean generation of system restore points or an actual backup? i don't use MSBackup.

Hi,

What I meant system backup is system backup feature that it would create restore point when you enable system backup automatically.

I made a test in our testing enviroment. limit restore point disk space usage to minize, create some restore point. When I create a seconde restore point, it would replace the former time point. The maxize disk space usage won't more than the limiation.

Therefore, please check the size of Restore Point in C:\System Volume Information if it's larger than system limiation.

Roger Lu

Friday, December 19, 2014 10:04 AM
  • Hi Roger,

As I said in my earlier post, (i) I'm not replacing one system restore point with another (this would obviously happen normally if the maximum size was too small for both points) - I only have the original one and (ii) setting the maximum size to any value (5 Gb, 10 Gb, 40 Gb) has no effect - the one point keeps increasing to fill the drive (it ignores what I set as the maximum and changes this value itself)

Friday, December 19, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please using the command below to check your current system drive shadow storage space status? It would be better to provide a screenshot for this command result:

Open CMD with administrator, then type the command below:

vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=c:

Note: if you couldn't post picture, please upload the screenshot to your OneDrive shared space and post the sharing link here.

Roger Lu

Monday, December 22, 2014 6:27 AM
  • After testing various programmes over several weeks, I've found it is due to the Automatic Fragmentation option of Diskeeper using a method that is supposedly optimised for drives with VSS enabled volumes
    • Marked as answer by Tombar1 Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:55 PM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:55 PM