What would you like to see improved in the start menu? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been seeing many people wanting the classic start menu back. Theres a low chance of that happening. So instead of recreating countless topics about the same thing, lets talk on how we can improve the new start menu. We can even talk about it right here.

How would you improve the existing start menu?

EDIT: I changed the title to be a bit more clear.
    • Edited by Target362 Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:43 PM changed title to be more clear
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:11 PM

All replies

• One thing, it's too boring now that when you click on all programs the list opens inside recent programs and not in a new separared list of all programs...

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:42 PM
  • ahhh

I say just use the entire width of the start menu to display the programs. Like search does. I wanted that since vista
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:44 PM
  • I say just use the entire width of the start menu to display the programs. Like search does. I wanted that since vista

Why? No program name is longer than the width of that field :P [Open your Start Menu and check for yourself]

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:54 PM
  • look at search

this will alow for folder trees to be expanded and spaced out a little more
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:56 PM
  • ahhh

I say just use the entire width of the start menu to display the programs. Like search does. I wanted that since vista

No, i mean that now you dont see all programs/folders but must scroll down to find a middle/bottom one and it's boring. On xp you see all the content of "all programs".
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Thats called Cascade menus and those are out dated.

The only way to see all your programs at once is if they brought back the program manager. Enhance it, by allowing us to install, reinstall or even uninstall. Launch and termate programs all from the program manager. 

But I think Microsoft is wanting people to pin their favorite programs to the taskbar and they may do away with the start menu all together in windows 8 or even windows 9
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Thats called Cascade menus and those are out dated.

The only way to see all your programs at once is if they brought back the program manager. Enhance it, by allowing us to install, reinstall or even uninstall. Launch and termate programs all from the program manager. 

But I think Microsoft is wanting people to pin their favorite programs to the taskbar and they may do away with the start menu all together in windows 8 or even windows 9

You right, it's called cascade menu ))) but they can make it more modern look and leave it, it's too much more confortable that this inside_small_start_window one. Or if it's not possible at least to make it auto resizable to the quantity of "all program" programs/folders items (to the max value of screen height and only then scroll it with scroller/arrows)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:07 PM
  • make it the entire width of the start menu including the jump list? (where the menu moves a few pixels to the right)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:09 PM
  • make it the entire width of the start menu including the jump list? (where the menu moves a few pixels to the right)

not in width, in height, make it expand with autoresize the only area of recent programs (there is no quick jump when you open "all programs")
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:15 PM
  • So have the start menu go from top to bottom when viewing all programs?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:18 PM
  • So have the start menu go from top to bottom when viewing all programs?

Yes, when it must (whan you have, say, 60 items to display), in other cases it must be of the right size to simply fit all "all programs" content.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:23 PM
  • For XP users who would like to migrate to Windows 7 it would be
    better to get rid of "Classic" and have an "XP" Start Menu option,
    with the look an feel of XP but Windows 7 under the hood. The learning
    curve would be minimized.

But since we are already at the RC and the RTM comming soon and
    quickly followed by the Gold in time for the holiday shoppers
    it highly unlikely to see any major changes, just bug fixes.
    JS
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:20 AM
  • For XP users who would like to migrate to Windows 7 it would be
    better to get rid of "Classic" and have an "XP" Start Menu option,
    with the look an feel of XP but Windows 7 under the hood.
    Am I missing something here? In XP vs. Vista/7 is there anything more to the Start Menu than the addition of search and [IMHO good] riddance of a full screen of cascaded menus? What "learning curve" are you talking about? Learning to be able to type ?

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:50 AM
  • XP’s “My Computer” is named “Computer” in Windows 7.

Get back the ‘Run’ command:
    Right click on the ‘Taskbar’, select ‘Properties’, click on the ‘Start Menu’ tab,  click the ‘Customize…’ button, scroll down the list of item and place a checkmark in the ‘Run command’ box., click the ‘OK’ button until the properties windows is closed.

Find Device Manger or Disk Manager
    Hint: ‘Computer Management’

Use of Jump Lists .....

JS
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:07 AM
  • It's a Start Menu , it should behave like a menu. Being forced to click on folders to open them is not menu-like. Everything in the Start Menu except the menu items themselves behave correctly. The expand button next to Shut Down, any menu-style side items like Computer or Control Panel, Jump Lists, etc will all open when you hover over them, but the folders in All Programs don't. That's seriously the only real problem I have with it.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:44 AM
  • You even have to click on start to open the start menu.
    Ok, no problem for me, but I found a problem. Because I like to organize my programs in the start menu in folders, like all Adobe pgms in a folder. I did that in XP and in Vista, but in RC7 the folders are locked and until now I could't find a way to change the rights. In the older versions you could right click on start and the open the explorer, this is gone.
    Any comments or solutions??
    FB
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:38 AM
  • What would I like to see ?   A sticky check-mark option on the All Programs bar so it could be chosen to always appear first in StartMenu.  (Instead of being greeted with the pinned, recent, and searchbar dialogs, and having to skip over that to get to All Programs).
    Yes, that would be a pretty nice feature. (Before anyone says smth, even in the Classic Start Menu you had to press "Programs >" to access all the programs)

Regards,
    Kristaps.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Kristaps,

There were several reasons why the devlopers of Windows 7 added certain features and designed those features certain ways. To learn more and for more resources for Windows 7 check out the following two sites.

http://tinyurl.com/832nco - Microsoft Springboard

www.talkingaboutwindows.com

Jessica
    Microsoft TechNet / Springboard
    v-jedeen@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:14 PM

• Anybody besides me having a hard time following this?

Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Why would microsoft go back to that cartoonish UI again?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:38 PM
  • The Vista/7 start menu is the same as XP but with small UI tweaks and search.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Its simple. How would you like to improve the existing start menu?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:41 PM
  • It's a Start Menu , it should behave like a menu. Being forced to click on folders to open them is not menu-like. Everything in the Start Menu except the menu items themselves behave correctly. The expand button next to Shut Down, any menu-style side items like Computer or Control Panel, Jump Lists, etc will all open when you hover over them, but the folders in All Programs don't. That's seriously the only real problem I have with it.

Expand button next to Shut Down isn't confortable to use... why get rid of old Shut Down style windows? This arrow is awfull and you can't manage it well... they need to review it...

And why I must digit something in search program if with well orginised cascade menus (i have allways managed to have only one column no matter how much applications i install) i can find a needed to me program in 3 seconds (3/4 clicks of all programs -> program folder (with eventual subfolder) -> program exe) wothout tipeng anything!

p.s. I'm new on W7 but i have a lot of experience with windows platform, so i ask, till now i never used this "jump lists", i even don't know what are they... how a new user can use them?

p.s.s. and the passage from xp to w7 is a bit drastical with completaly remanaged controll panell, i'v spend 30 minutes to find disk manager utility to reassing logical disk letters...
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I find the Search function an impediment in the Start menu. I can't type the first letter of options listed in Start because Search wants to search what I type. It doesnt make sense. Before Win7 (and Vista) I could press W for Windows Media Player I had listed on the Start menu, or I for Internet, which I had my shortcut for Firefox renamed. If I wanted to search, I could have pressed Windows key and F. or press E in the Start menu. I RARELY need to search when I open the start menu.
        I've looked and looked for a way to remove Search from the Start menu. Does anyone have any ideas?

Friday, June 5, 2009 9:32 PM
    excellent point...it should be clickless as much as possible
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:43 AM

Expand button next to Shut Down isn't confortable to use... why get rid of old Shut Down style windows? This arrow is awfull and you can't manage it well... they need to review it...

And why I must digit something in search program if with well orginised cascade menus (i have allways managed to have only one column no matter how much applications i install) i can find a needed to me program in 3 seconds (3/4 clicks of all programs -> program folder (with eventual subfolder) -> program exe) wothout tipeng anything!

p.s. I'm new on W7 but i have a lot of experience with windows platform, so i ask, till now i never used this "jump lists", i even don't know what are they... how a new user can use them?

p.s.s. and the passage from xp to w7 is a bit drastical with completaly remanaged controll panell, i'v spend 30 minutes to find disk manager utility to reassing logical disk letters...
    There are several ways one can use the jumplists for. One can use it for quick access to some program features. One may use it as a "recent items" lists..
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:46 AM

• Expand button next to Shut Down isn't confortable to use... why get rid of old Shut Down style windows? This arrow is awfull and you can't manage it well... they need to review it...

I hate it. No confirmation screen and the button is ugly as ____. I'd rather go back to color coded buttons, along with a confirmation screen.

Ruby Red - Shut down
    Emerald Green - Restart
    Gold - Log off/Switch User
    Navy Blue - Sleep/hibernate

Microsoft likes this washed out s hit and its really making me sick.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I like the interface in general the only thing I don't like and I know its the task bar and not the start menu is, when you Internet explore the quicklaunch IE icon disapears so if you want to open another window you have to right click to open a new window and media player icon moves along the more windows you have open...
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:05 AM