none
Incorrect Task Start time was changed when Task Duration set to 0 existing projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use MS Project Pro 2010 April 2012 CU with Project Server 2010 SP1 April 2012 CU 

I have faced with strange behavior with our plans which was opened from MS Project Pro:

1) Open MS Project and create new plan.

1.1) Create 3 tasks - 1 summary 2 two sub tasks. By default this task was created with 1 day? Duration values.

1.2) Set duration for one of sub tasks as 0. When i did this - Start and End time was set with values, which getting from Options -> Schedule -> Defaults start time - 9:00. This is normal behavior.

2) Open MS Project and open one of existing plan.

2.1) Create 3 tasks - 1 summary 2 two sub tasks. By default this task was created with 1 day? Duration values.

2.2) Set duration for one of sub tasks as 0. When i did this - Start and End time was set with 8:00  values, while in Options -> Schedule -> Defaults start time set as 9:00. 

Why this may happens?

Alexey

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hello Alexey,

This is what I've seen on the mpp file:

The project has the following setting in Project Options dialog box:

Project Options | Schedule | Auto scheduled tasks scheduled on [Current Date]

The current date (Aug 1 8:00 AM) is later than the project start date (Jul 24 09:00 AM). Project schedules a new task on Aug 1 (current date) and on the start of a working day (available start time in project calendar) which is 09:00. No need to mention the SNET constraint created. 

Milestone has no duration, it is scheduled regardless of working and nonworking time so Project can place a milestone in a non-working time on the timescale. As soon as the one-day task is set to be a milestone, Project moves the milestone back to 08:00 (the current time). 

Suggested method: IMO, setting the current time to 09:00 provides sync so Project does not move the milestone back to 08:00 AM on the timescale. I would also suggest to schedule auto-scheduled tasks on Project Start Date. 

IMO, there is no problem with the file, this is just how scheduling works in Project. 

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Hello Alexey,

If you can send me the file at projectuser[at]fastmail.fm, I'll take a look at it.

Regards.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

I sent to you two project files on your email (one with issue and second without issue). and will wait for your reply. Thanks.

Alexey

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Thanks...
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hello Alexey,

This is what I've seen on the mpp file:

The project has the following setting in Project Options dialog box:

Project Options | Schedule | Auto scheduled tasks scheduled on [Current Date]

The current date (Aug 1 8:00 AM) is later than the project start date (Jul 24 09:00 AM). Project schedules a new task on Aug 1 (current date) and on the start of a working day (available start time in project calendar) which is 09:00. No need to mention the SNET constraint created. 

Milestone has no duration, it is scheduled regardless of working and nonworking time so Project can place a milestone in a non-working time on the timescale. As soon as the one-day task is set to be a milestone, Project moves the milestone back to 08:00 (the current time). 

Suggested method: IMO, setting the current time to 09:00 provides sync so Project does not move the milestone back to 08:00 AM on the timescale. I would also suggest to schedule auto-scheduled tasks on Project Start Date. 

IMO, there is no problem with the file, this is just how scheduling works in Project. 

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexey Koval Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Thanks! Your explanation has helped me to understand this behavior.

Alexey

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:15 AM