none
Send external mail via Exchange 2013: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am having a hard time understanding why I'm not able to send mail to my Hotmail account via Exchange 2013 from within the internal network.  Exchange is able to both send and receive e-mails to and from external domains out on the Internet when using the web based OWA interface.  However trying to do this via command line from one of the internal Linux servers fails.  Any idea how I can fix this?  Thanks.

[root@testserver ~]# mailx -S smtp=mail.domain.com -r root@domain.com -s "Test subject" -v myemail@hotmail.com < anaconda-ks.cfg
    Resolving host mail.domain.com . . . done.
    Connecting to 96.32.86.191:smtp . . . connected.
    220 exchange.domain.com ESMTP Service ready
    >>> HELO testserver
    250 Requested mail action okay, completed
    >>> MAIL FROM:<root@domain.com>
    >>> RCPT TO:<myemail@hotmail.com>
    550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
    smtp-server: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
    "/root/dead.letter" 62/1590
    . . . message not sent.

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:11 PM

Answers

• Hi, I am having a hard time understanding why I'm not able to send mail to my Hotmail account via Exchange 2013 from within the internal network.  Exchange is able to both send and receive e-mails to and from external domains out on the Internet when using the web based OWA interface.  However trying to do this via command line from one of the internal Linux servers fails.  Any idea how I can fix this?  Thanks.

[root@testserver ~]# mailx -S smtp=mail.domain.com -r root@domain.com -s "Test subject" -v myemail@hotmail.com < anaconda-ks.cfg
    >>> HELO testserver
    . . . message not sent.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232021%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

OM (MCITP) | Blog

• Marked as answer by David Wang_ Friday, December 4, 2015 8:15 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:08 PM

All replies

• Please check whether the recipient is valid and his mailbox is available

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts on http://exchangequery.com Thanks Sathish (MVP)

Monday, November 2, 2015 4:39 PM

>>> HELO testserver
    . . . message not sent.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232021%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

OM (MCITP) | Blog

• Marked as answer by David Wang_ Friday, December 4, 2015 8:15 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

Can other internal user send emails to your hotmail account successful?

According to the error, please double check if the the recipient is valid and his mailbox is available.

Please also enable protocol logging on the send connector, and reproduce the issue.

Regards,

David 

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:30 AM