none
IPAM options for our network? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a mid-sized network with 15-20 subnets. Currently we use a web-based IPAM solution that is cumbersome at best, and I am looking at the Microsoft IPAM solution. I would be running it on a 2012 R2 VM, and our other servers have varying Server versions installed.

First question: If I were to install IPAM on our network to try it out, and then decided not to use it, what would I need to do to back it out? Remove the servers from the Event Log Viewers group, delete the 3 GPO's and remove any other servers from the domain, right?

Second question: I have read about IPAM and its ability to scan is based, for static IP's on DNS entries, and the rest it imports from DHCP. One of the problems we are trying to solve is that we have a number of static IP's that may or may not be in use- Is there a way to scan those ranges for IP's that may not have an associated DNS entry?

Last question: Do all servers involved have to be 2012 R2, or can the IPAM server manage the DNS/DHCP servers running 2012? How about 2008?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi

Working though your question in order.

First question: Yes that would remove all the necessary elements. You could of course just remove the IPAM role in server manager and reuse that server. (Noting that the IPAM server should not be on a Dc or a DHCP / DNS server ) 

Second question: Best practice is to have a reservation in place in DHCP for the static addresses. intis case the DNS / DHCP discovery would find all addresses and start tracking them.

Last question: The IPAM server should be a Server 2012 R2 to maximise all the features like VMM ranges etc. BUT IPAM can monitor all current MS DHCP and DNS servers 2008 upwards.

See this link under IPAM specifications

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831353.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope this helps, please mark it as an answer if so

Yours

Ed

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:29 PM