Domain user network share browsing slow, but domain admin is fast RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen quite a few threads about slow network share browsing in Windows 7, and I've tried every fix to no avail.  I did notice something that has not been mentioned in any threads that I've seen though, and that's the behavior is different when using a user account with administrative privileges.

Environment: SBS2011, domain, 14 Windows 7 PC's that all exhibit the same behavior

As an account in the domain users group, browse to a network share with approx. 400 items to display, and it takes 4-5 seconds for explorer to show them.  Same delay exists when creating new folders in this folder.  Displaying this folder in any way reproduces this delay, whether navigating up or down the file system, or by going straight to the share's UNC path.

Folders with fewer items have less of a delay, the effect seems proportional.

As an account in the domain admins group, navigation is lickety split.  Tested with two different administrative accounts.  Tested on multiple PC's.  Also took a user account that exhibited the issue, added them as a member of domain admins, and this resolved the issue for that user account.

Any ideas?

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:09 PM

All replies

• Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  

We are running into a similar issue.  We have a few specific Domain Users who are reporting difficulty navigating or searching network shares.  Searching a small folder of files is taking 30+ seconds.  All of our domain admins can search the same folder instantly.  If we add this Domain User into Domain Admins his searching is instant, when we demote him back down to Domain user its slow again.  The Domain User is having the same issue no matter what computer he uses.  Us Domain Admins can log into the same computer and it comes up with search results instantly, log out and log back in as the Domain User and suddenly its slow again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Any luck with this?

I noticed that creating a new Domain User helps things for a few days, but it soon goes back to the way it was. In our case browsing larger folders is dreadfully slow for a few users, browsing folders of photos can even crash explorer...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:59 PM