Outlook 2016 Slow attaching PDF when using 'Send To Email' from multiple applications. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an annoying issue in that over the last month, a couple of our users on different sites and systems have noticed that when using something like acrobat/primopdf/quickbooks to send a PDF file directly into an email for sending has suddenly become much slower.  The time it takes can vary from 8 seconds to over a minute with no real reason to be seen.   The files are not large (100-200kb).

Looking at the task manager, I can see no drain on any of the resources at the time of the slow down.  I've disabled Antivirus as I thought that may be slowing the process.   We have completely removed Adobe Acrobat and also installed old versions from 9 upwards to see if that would make any difference but without any effect.

All the users effected are on Windows 10 64bit running Office 2016 (365) 32bit on the latest updates.  We have one using Exchange 365 and one with local Exchange and both are getting the same thing.

When sending a spreadsheet or document from word or excel in its native format the document attaches in 1-2 seconds every time.

Any suggestions would be welcome?  (excludes 'buy a Mac', 'use Linux'...etc..)  

Friday, March 23, 2018 8:19 AM

Answers

• After much frustration we seem to have mostly cleared the issue for most of the users.

Using GP we have forced the clients to disable Hardware acceleration and that seems to have got it back down to 4 - 8 seconds again.

Thanks for the feedback from all that commented.   I hope this might help you Robert.

• Marked as answer by JVanstone Friday, May 4, 2018 7:13 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi JVanstone,

>>to send a PDF file directly into an email for sending has suddenly become much slower. 

Have you made any changes to Outlook or Windows before this issue occurs? Installing the latest updates?

What's the version of problematic Outlook client?

Currently, I haven't found any related official articles. Please first try starting Outlook in safe mode and see whether this issue continues. This helps eliminate if the problem is related to any third party add-ins. To do this, please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe, press Enter.

In case this issue was caused by software conflicts, please try performing a clean boot in Windows to check the result.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, March 26, 2018 6:37 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

We have tried the safe mode, clean boot options and no change.

Its happened on a couple of different companies using different systems and software.  It just seems to be slow using the 'send to' function when using a PDF.

All the machines affected are patched completely to date for office and Windows.

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

I've researched a lot and currently, I haven't found any related articles.

We could use the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) to get a detailed report of your installed Office programs. It also highlights known problems that are found when OffCAT scans your computer. For more details, please refer to this link.

What's more, please try repairing Office on one problematic client to check the result. To do this, please go to Control Pane > Programs and Features. Right click your Office suit. Click Change and then click Repair.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:10 AM
  • I have the same problem.

After a complete re install the problem still remain. win10x64 1709 + office 2016 fully patched

A create a new profile with only one account exchange fronm office 365 (the fault profile as 4 account exchange from office 365 and other exchange private)

In that case the send to Outlook from adobe reader ran in 4 secondes instead of 45.

S i geuss the problem is with some exchange organisation 

Hope this help to find the reason and find solution

regards

robert

Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:08 PM
  • After much frustration we seem to have mostly cleared the issue for most of the users.

Using GP we have forced the clients to disable Hardware acceleration and that seems to have got it back down to 4 - 8 seconds again.

Thanks for the feedback from all that commented.   I hope this might help you Robert.

• Marked as answer by JVanstone Friday, May 4, 2018 7:13 AM
    Friday, May 4, 2018 7:13 AM
  • We have been having the same issues.  Exactly as described.  Started about a month or so ago.  Multiple clients reporting this.  Various configurations.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe, QB.  On one computer completely wiped it out and reinstalled everything from scratch and no luck.  At first I thought it was QB, but after testing, realized that if I just open a file up from within Adobe and try to email it out, I have the same issue.  I went in to try and modify my acceleration settings, but unfortunately my computer does not present me with that option.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:06 PM
  • Switching off "cached Exchange mode" in Outlook worked for us...

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:18 AM