Questions about service pack 3 upgrade for SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

We have a production SharePoint 2007 Server that is still running the original installation without service packs and we would like to upgrade it to SP3.

But before we attempt any upgrade, I would like to know if there is anything we need to do to prepare for SP3 upgrade in addition to the usual backup using built-in tools or stsadm command.

FYI, here is basic information of the server:

- SharePoint 2007 Form Server
    (This is basically WSS 3.0 plus form service without full MOSS 2007).
    - Stand-alone installation using an external SQL Server 2005 server for database.

We have attempted SP1 upgrade on this server a few years ago but that ended miserably in errors and we had to contact Microsoft Professional support to re-attach databases, deploy custom solutions, re-configure other parameters and so on. Due to the failed SP1 upgrade, we have not attempted any other service pack upgrades since.

Now we have to upgrade our production server to SP3 because our development SharePoint server is running SP3. When we attempted to use stsadm command to restore a site backed on a development server, stsadm refused to restore the site on production server due to difference in SharePoint version. So we thought it would be better to have the production SharePoint server upgraded to SP3.

Here are my questions concerning SP3 upgrade.

1) Should we simply run the WSS 3.0 SP3 upgrade follow by MOSS 2007 SP3 (for form servcice) and hope for the best?

2) Should we remove all content databases first before we run WSS 3.0 SP3 and MOSS 2007 SP3 upgrades?

I'm asking this because I recall the SP1 upgrade failed due to some error parsing or upgrading some content databases.
    When the SP1 upgrade failed, I thought some content databases may be frelled but to my surprise Microsoft Pro support was able to re-attach them without any problem.

3) If we removed content databases first and have a successful SP3 upgrade, will we be able to re-attach content databases without any issues?

I don't know if SharePoint 2007 running a newer service pack will accept content databases created by an older version.

4) In case the SP3 upgrade goes horribly wrong and we have to re-install SharePoint 2007 from scratch, should just re-install SharePoin 2007 with SP3 built-int and re-attach content databases?

Any information concerning SP3 upgrade would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Jason

(You may be curious why we have a development SharePoint 2007 running SP3 without any problems.
    The only thing different between the production and development server is that the development server was installed using a installation package with SP1 built-in already.  Somehow we were able to update the development server to SP2 and later to SP3 without any issues.)
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:50 PM

Answers

• You can remove and reattach content databases to see if this will clear out the orphans. I don't recommend removing the databases before doing the upgrade and attaching them after. This won't save you any trouble, when you attach the content database it will automatically do the upgrade so any issues you would have had with the database attached will still happen in this scenario.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:21 AM

All replies

• You may still have the upgrade logs from your attempt to upgrade to SP1. Knowing specifically why they failed will help determine the cause and resolution. I'm honestly surprised you've gone this long with RTM as the service packs have had several very useful and important updates.

Normally the updates are straightforward, though upgrade issues are common. You have to take them as they come, troubleshoot, resolve the issues, and keep going. 

In general, the upgrade approach that works for me is:

1. Install WSS update (SP3). If it asks to restart, restart. Do not run the configuration wizard.

2. Install the Server update (SP3). If it asks to restart, restart.

3. Run the configuration wizard.

4. When the configuration wizard fails, troubleshoot and resolve any issues. By now most of the issues you'll encounter should be easily found with a simple search for the exception message.

5. After resolving the issues, re-run the configuration wizard. If there are still issues go to step 4.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:49 AM
  • After some research, it seems one possible cause of our prior failed SP1 upgrade is orphaned objects in content databases.

The suggested solutions I have found inlclude using stsadm to do database repair or remove content databases first before any service pack upgrade.

• Edited by jlinx2000 Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:40 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:40 PM
  • You can remove and reattach content databases to see if this will clear out the orphans. I don't recommend removing the databases before doing the upgrade and attaching them after. This won't save you any trouble, when you attach the content database it will automatically do the upgrade so any issues you would have had with the database attached will still happen in this scenario.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:21 AM
  • I just ran stsadm command to check several content databases and there are no orphaned objects found.

So I will plan to do a SP3 upgrade without remove and reattach content databases.

Thanks for the information.

Friday, February 22, 2013 1:01 AM