Uninstall Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When uninstalling Exchange 2010 I get the following message:

Mailbox Role Checks              ......................... FAILED
         Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Mailbox Database 0570597517': This mai
    lbox database contains one or more mailboxes or arbitration mailboxes. To get a
    list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <D
    atabase ID>. To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run th
    e command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration. Before you can remov
    e this mailbox database, you must disable, move, or remove user mailboxes and mo
    ve arbitration mailboxes.

Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Public Folder Database 0782454755': Pu
    blic folder database "Public Folder Database 0782454755" is the default public f
    older database for the following mailbox database(s):
    Mailbox Database 0570597517
    . Before deleting the public folder database, assign a new default public folder
     database to the mailbox database(s).

What do I do to move forward to remove Exchange 2010?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:51 PM

Answers

• 1. Do you get any Public Folder in result when you run below cmdlet?

Get-PublicFolderStatistics -Server "Exchange2010ServerName"

If you get PF name, connect to PF management console and remove the replica of Exchange 2010 PF database from listed folders.

Using the Public Folder Management Console

2. If you are unsuccessful in step 1 then as Brian said, remove the PF database from the AD using ADSIEdit.msc and proceed for the uninstallation of Exchange 2010.

Select Configuration well-known naming configuration -> CN=Configuration -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=<YourExchOrgName> -> CN=Administrative Group -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) -> CN=Servers > CN=Databases -> Select Exchange 2010 PF database name and delete...

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

• Marked as answer by Paul Brock Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:16 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Exchange is warning you because you still have mailboxes in mailbox databases.
    To move forward you must move your mailboxes or delete them (note: all is lost and not recoverable)

You could try to delete the databases using the console or shell. then rerun the uninstaller.

Good luck

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Normally you should have system mailbox and system public folders such a Offline Address Book and Schedule Plus Free Busy. It's hard to remove them properly if it is the only server in organization. Sometimes if you'd like to reinstall machine from scratch it's not uninstallation but simply remove Exchange organization from Active Directory Configuration partition (with adsiedit.msc).

Regards

Konrad
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:08 AM
  • I was able to figure out how to remove the system mailboxes that were arbitratiors (-arbitration) and at this point the uninstall says:

Mailbox Role Checks              ......................... FAILED
         Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Public Folder Database 0782454755': Th
    e public folder database "Public Folder Database 0782454755" contains folder rep
    licas. Before deleting the public folder database, remove the folders or move th
    e replicas to another public folder database. For detailed instructions about ho
    w to remove a public folder database, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid
    =81409&clcid=0x409.

I think I replicated everything out of the public folders that was in there but I'm still getting this message.

Any insight on how to force the removal of the public folder so I can move forward with the uninstall would be appreciated.

The root cause of my problem stems from installing Exchange 2010 into an organization that has Exchange 2003 in it too. When I try to get into the EMC I get a message stating that the object <my username> can't be found on <domain controller>(I think because we have a period in our NetBIOS domain name. Guessing here.....). I can get console access though and that is how I have been trying to move forward. Anyhow we also have a 3rd party application that checks free busy time in a stupid way and gets confused with 2 Exchange administrative groups. to make a long story short I would like to simply remove the Exchange 2010 install as much as possible and see if I can get things back to the way they were and maybe replan this a bit.

Thanks,
    Paul

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:37 PM
  •  I need  un-install  exchange  2010 RC1  and got the same error message too,  I can't  use   adsiedit.msc to  drop the server  role ( 2010 database role) becuase  I get  production  exchange 2007  systems together and  I can't find which  data are specific to the new  exchange server (2010 RC1), please  help.     
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:57 PM
  • PF databases are always fun to remove in every version of Exchange. I usually just resort to killing them with ADSIEdit.msc if they give me too much trouble.

Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:33 PM
  • 1. Do you get any Public Folder in result when you run below cmdlet?

Get-PublicFolderStatistics -Server "Exchange2010ServerName"

If you get PF name, connect to PF management console and remove the replica of Exchange 2010 PF database from listed folders.

Using the Public Folder Management Console

2. If you are unsuccessful in step 1 then as Brian said, remove the PF database from the AD using ADSIEdit.msc and proceed for the uninstallation of Exchange 2010.

Select Configuration well-known naming configuration -> CN=Configuration -> CN=Services -> CN=Microsoft Exchange -> CN=<YourExchOrgName> -> CN=Administrative Group -> CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) -> CN=Servers > CN=Databases -> Select Exchange 2010 PF database name and delete...

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

• Marked as answer by Paul Brock Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:16 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Amit,

That did the trick. I was able to uninstall Exchange 2010 and things are looking better. I do have some lingering administrative group issues that I know are going to be difficult to get out of the environment but overall things are better.

Thanks again,
    Paul Brock

• Proposed as answer by gerrickd Monday, October 5, 2009 6:02 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi Amit,

Thanks man ..Its work fine..

Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Yes Amit is correct. This did the trick for me. My EMC was showing the failed exch2010-old installation as if it still existed. I tried the regular uninstall and it failed. The OS then became corrupt on that machine and I could not access it anymore. (It was a VM) So I deleted it and the active directory instance, and it still appeared in EMC. Only when I deleted the references in ADSIedit did it finally go away.

Thanks alot!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:42 PM