Configure Legacy link to OWA 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am relatively new to Exchange and my company has asked me to "investigate" the possibilities to migrate from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010. So I made myself a test-lab with three servers; an AD, Exchange 2003 and an Exchange 2010. I've successfully managed to migrate my test-mailboxes to my new server. However when I will be doing this in production, it is obvious it will take me a lot longer to migrate the mailboxes. So I found a video where the 2010 CAS automatically reconnects to the exchange 2003 server when a mailbox isn't yet available on the 2010 server.

I've been searching for a property to configure this, but I cannot find it... I thought I could find the option on the 2010 OWA virtual directory, but I didn't, or I missed it.

Furthermore, I was wondering what is migrated with the New-MoveRequest (calendar?, shared calendar?, spamrules?, mailbox offcourse)

Thanks in advance,
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:28 AM

Answers

• I've been searching for a property to configure this, but I cannot find it... I thought I could find the option on the 2010 OWA virtual directory, but I didn't, or I missed it.
    The cmdlet to set this redirection attribute would be...

Set-OWAVirtualDirectory -Identity "CASServer\owa (Default Web Site)" -Exchange2003URL https://legacymail.contoso.com/exchange

If you were migrating from 2007 or a 2007/2003 mixed environment you would use the same Exchange2003URL attribute and point to CAS2007 since CAS2007 can handle both 2003/2007 mailboxes for you.

-brian
    Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Chinthaka,

Thank you very much for your reply, although I was looking for a solution for Exchange 2003, I found the solution through your link...

For Exchange 2003 the information is at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332348%28EXCHG.140%29.aspx

I fixed it via the cmdlet which is mentioned there... I'll mark Brian's answer as this is completely the same and so other users can directly see it.
    • Marked as answer by Christophe V Monday, October 19, 2009 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Christophe,

Exchange 2010 will just redirect the URL to legacy Exchange Servers and wont do anything else. I dont believe there is any attribute that can be modified to change this behavior. Please correct me if I have missunderstood anything. For the other question, Yes.. it will move the complete mailbox. Everything including calendars and Rules and all. Yet, it wont move the dumpster. If  you are talking about shared mailboxes in outlook profile then those are never moved because they are not on server.
    Milind Naphade | MCTS:M | http://www.msexchangegeek.com RSS Feed
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Exchange 2010 will just redirect the URL to legacy Exchange Servers and wont do anything else. I dont believe there is any attribute that can be modified to change this behavior. 
    Thank you for your reply Milind,

I understand that Exchange will redirect to the legacy exchange server, but my question is where I should define the legacy-URL. I know I have to make a DNS-entry for the legacy-URL, but I don't think that Exchange will just "know" which URL to redirect to... Another thing I forgot to ask; are personal folders also migrated?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:25 PM
  • HI,

you must define legacy host name in your External DNS server and you shouldn't change internal URL.  Exchange 2010 CAS able to lookup which mailbox server belongs for that user. When you access exchange 2010 web access interface, Exchange 2010 CAS query the Active directory and look which mailbox server belong for user, if user exist in Exchange 2007 mailbox, then CAS 2010 will redirect to Exchange 2007 CAS. Exchange 2010 CAS able to do authenticate part as well.

Resources
    Upgrading from Exchange 2007 Client Access

Regards

Chinthaka Shameera | MCITP: EA | MCSE: M | http://howtoexchange.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:39 PM
  • I've been searching for a property to configure this, but I cannot find it... I thought I could find the option on the 2010 OWA virtual directory, but I didn't, or I missed it.
    The cmdlet to set this redirection attribute would be...

Set-OWAVirtualDirectory -Identity "CASServer\owa (Default Web Site)" -Exchange2003URL https://legacymail.contoso.com/exchange

If you were migrating from 2007 or a 2007/2003 mixed environment you would use the same Exchange2003URL attribute and point to CAS2007 since CAS2007 can handle both 2003/2007 mailboxes for you.

-brian
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Chinthaka,

Thank you very much for your reply, although I was looking for a solution for Exchange 2003, I found the solution through your link...

For Exchange 2003 the information is at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332348%28EXCHG.140%29.aspx

I fixed it via the cmdlet which is mentioned there... I'll mark Brian's answer as this is completely the same and so other users can directly see it.
    • Marked as answer by Christophe V Monday, October 19, 2009 3:15 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Chinthaka,

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for. :) There is zero done on the 2003 side to co-exist with 2010 unless you have to deal with disabling link-state due to multiple RGCs and 2007 never existed in the environment. You set that legacy URL attribute and point your URLs to 2010CAS and point your legacy URL to a 2003 Front-End server (or CAS2007 if you have 2007 in the environment).
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Brian,

I was looking for the Exchange2003URL-attribute to set on exchange 2010, perhaps I didn't express me that well when I said I was looking for a solution for exchange 2003. I actually meant I was looking for the solution when coexisting with 2003 and not with 2007, that's all.

I had searched to owa virtual directory properties through emc, and hadn't checked powershell. That's why I didn't found the solution. My only problem was that I couldn't find where to set the Exchange2003URL-attribute, that's all.

My problem is fixed now, thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:31 AM