Unpublish Application using IIS publishing source RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I don't have a Management server in my infraestructure. I have build a Microsoft Appv IIS to stream and Publish apps via http following this guide http://goo.gl/OrW9M . Everything works ok, applications stream and publish fine to the clients. 

I created a Group in AD called AcrobatReader and a added my user to this group. I set the proper permissions in the ACL (Acrobat Reader directory ) and my user gets the Application fine.

Imagine that I want to unpublish the Reader app from this user. How can I do that? Do I have to do it manually? There is any way to do it automatically?

How can I do that without a Management Server? Is it possible?

Many thanks,

Friday, April 29, 2011 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Apart from server-license and SQL-license required to host the infrastructure (and the time it takes to setup) - there is no additional cost for using the App-V Mgt server - its all about the amount of clients you have.

See the planning and design guide for all infrastructure types (three + custom - which you have looked at);

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2010/02/24/infrastructure-planning-and-design-guide-for-microsoft-app-v-4-6-now-available.aspx 

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by Pepebcn Friday, April 29, 2011 10:41 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:19 AM
  • The Management Server does not cost any extra in licensing - if you are licensed for App-V you are licensed for al components. If you have a Windows Server on which to run it, then you don't need any additional licensing.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:20 AM

All replies

• What happens if you remove the user from the group and the client performs a publishing refresh?
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Hi and thanks for your quick answer,

That's exactly what I tried :) and when I remove the user from the group and I do a refresh the App still being published in the client. If I remove it manually when I do the refresh it works ok. 

Maybe I am missing something or is not possible to do that?

Thanks again.

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Its an interesting issue - I've not used an HTTP publishing source before so I'm not even sure what you're trying to do will work. I presume you have good reasons for not using the Management Server or some other deployment method.

It might be worth configuring a Management Server and viewing the differences in the app list XML received by the client.

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

the mainly reason is the price of the license :). With a Management server (App-V Full Infrastructure) it will cost more, isn't it?

In my case I use a App-V Lightweight Infrastructure with only one streaming server.

There are any other ways to publish and deploy appv-apps that I don't know except the one with the Management Server?

Thanks,

Friday, April 29, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Hello,

Apart from server-license and SQL-license required to host the infrastructure (and the time it takes to setup) - there is no additional cost for using the App-V Mgt server - its all about the amount of clients you have.

See the planning and design guide for all infrastructure types (three + custom - which you have looked at);

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2010/02/24/infrastructure-planning-and-design-guide-for-microsoft-app-v-4-6-now-available.aspx 

/Znack
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:19 AM
  • The Management Server does not cost any extra in licensing - if you are licensed for App-V you are licensed for al components. If you have a Windows Server on which to run it, then you don't need any additional licensing.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 10:20 AM