How to handle AppV 5 Connection Groups RRS feed

• Question

• It is not clear to me so any help is appreciated.

I have a Connection Group called TESTCONNECTIONGROUP and two packages assigned to it, e.g called PACKAGE01 and PACKAGE02.

All added to AppV server and publish to client for a specific user.

When launching a shortcut within PACKAGE02 I want that some files are copied from PACKAGE01 to the local system.

Is that possible ? I tried a lot of things but I can't get it work.

Anyone who has experience with such configuration and is willing to share it?

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:48 PM

All replies

• You can write a script and add it in the PACKAGE02 config file under Start virtualenvironment script type. This might help to accomplish your need.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 5, 2018 11:44 AM
  • Hi Figneshwaren,

That is exactly what I tried but not seems to work. Maybe it is because my PACKAGE01 is IBM DB2 Client and something goes wrong there.

For now I put everything into one package and that works....

But for future usage I would like to get it also work by using Connection Groups.

Friday, April 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • Indeed, it should work as Vigneshwaran adviced...using a Start Virtualenvironment script in Package02 should do the trick. But where are you files located? (that you want to copy from Package01) If they are located in the Script folder of Package01, then it could make sense it doens't work (didn't test it for myself yet) because the script folders are not merged as far as I know now. If they are located somewhere in the VFS then Package02 can access them.

Monday, April 9, 2018 9:51 AM
  • ^^… also keep in mind, if you got them placed in VFS, and those folders are in both packages, the highest package in the connectiongroup wins.

Roy Essers

Monday, April 9, 2018 6:56 PM
  • There are lots of ways to do what you want the wrong way.  

• I would want to use what Roy suggested, having the source file available by VFS path. 
    • If both packages have the same folder with the source file, make sure the higher priority package has the folder marked Merge with Local. 
    • The script needs "Run In Virtual Environment".
    • You also need to make sure that the destination is outside of the pathing used by BOTH packages. 
    • You need to ensure the group is properly published.  As in enabled to user (not global) if either package is published to the user.  And not enabled when either package is in use (including Shell Extensions).
    • And avoiding the Windows 10 1703 April hotfix debacle with scripts.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:42 PM