ds02  | 20 GB         | 2 GB 
    ds03  | 20 GB         | 18 GB 
    ds04  | 20 GB         | 7 GB
    ======================

In modify disk allocation window I have: 

Number of computers: 4
    Data per computer: 20 GB
    Disk space allocated: 113.16 GB

My problem is when I have protection group with many computers and one "data per computer" value I need to allocate many space that is wasted.
    I would like to achieve something like this (prefered by powershell):

======================
    ds01  | 5 GB <-manualy decreased          | 1 GB
    ds02  | 5 GB <-manualy decreased          | 2 GB 
    ds03  | 20 GB <-original setup            | 18 GB 
    ds04  | 30 GB <-manualy increased         | 7 GB
    ======================

I found script for extending allocated disk but when I'm trying to extend ds03 replica size I have following error message: 

Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation -Manual -Datasource $myds03 -ProtectionGroup $mpg1 -ReplicaArea 22548578304
    this is error message:

Set-DPMDatasourceDiskAllocation : The parameter Manual cannot be used while configuring protection of client computers.

(ID: 7005)Refer to cmdlet help for more details.

At line:1 char:29+ Set-DatasourceDiskAllocation <<<<  -Manual -Datasource $myds -ProtectionGroup $mpg -ReplicaArea 22548578304    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-DPMDatasourceDiskAllocation], DlsException    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidParameterForClientPG,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.SetDiskAllocation

Is there any possibility to achieve what I need ?

Monday, August 26, 2013 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like when you created the client protection group you unchecked the option to allow co-location.  When you did that DPM created a replica for each protected machine and if you over-estimated, then you end up in the condition you described.

If you allow co-location when protecting guests, then DPM will create a single replica to be shared by up to 30 clients.  This means if some clients only use 5GB and others use 20GB that extra 15GB unused space can be used by other clients also using the same replica.  You can then under estimate Data per computer when you create the PG.

Depending on the Version of DPM this is how co-location works.  

DPM 2010 RTM - The default co-location factor of 10 allows scaling to 1000 clients per DPM server.
    DPM 2012 RTM - The default co-location factor of 30 allows scaling to 3000 clients per DPM server.

To scale to 3000 clients / DPM 2010 server, the co-location factor needs to be increased to 30.
    The customers with large scaled deployments have increased the value from 10 to 30.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Collocation\Client
    DSCollocationFactor:REG_DWORD:0xA (0x1E for 30)

Space allocated by DPM for client protection based on GB / Client and with or without co-location enabled. 

Number represent total space for both Replica and Recovery point volume with 10 clients / replica.

GB/client            Non-Colocated in GB                (10-Co-Located in GB)
    =========   ==================    ==================
    1                       2.77                                       13.56
    2                       3.96                                        29.57
    3                       5.18                                        37.57
    4                       6.37                                        49.57
    5                       7.57                                        61.56
    10                     13.56                                     121.56
    20                     25.57                                     241.56

If you need to rethink your storage or change GB/Client - then I strognly recommend that you stop protection and DELETE the replica, then reprotect the clients with the new DSCollocationFactor settings  and GB/Client allocation.    Keep in mind that the GB/Client is NOT a quota, and it's not a hard limit on amount of data that DPM can / will protect per client, it's just an estimation on overall storage needs on an average and if you allocate too little, you can either let DPM auto-grow (10GB or 25% of volume size which ever is larger) or manually grow the volume.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 6:47 PM