none
Access to shared folder without installing SMB 1.0?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently got into a problem and I solved that successfully.

The problem was that I wasn't able to connect to a shared folder because of SMB 1.0 that it wasn't installed on Windows. My question is that before I installed SMB 1.0, I could connect to the shared folder on other machines without any errors. Why did this happen?

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you workstation OS doesn't support SMB1.0, more info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows

If you want to enable it, read this guide: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107605-enable-disable-smb1-file-sharing-protocol-windows.html

But is not recommended to use smb1.0!

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

In some high-level versions of Windows OS, SMB 1.0 is not installed by default.

Maybe SMB 1.0 is already installed and enabled on your other machines, so they can access that shared folder normally.

Best Regards,

Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Hello,

after the spread of Wannacrypt ransomware, Microsoft recommends that you disable SMB v1 for security reason. For this reason, on latest Windows 10 version, SMB version 1.0 is disabled BY DEFAULT.

If you are using an old network disk (like NAS, <g class="gr_ gr_12 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="12" id="12">ect</g>) that only supports SMB version 1.0 and not the latest SMB v2 or v3, the only way to access it via a Windows 10 machine, is to enable SMB v1 on your machine. That's the explanation of what happened to you.

Bye.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Victor Ochs Friday, February 22, 2019 8:03 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking the current situation of your problem.
    Please let us know if you would like further help.

Best regards,
    Leon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:39 AM