none
MSP Professional 2010 running slow as compared to 2002 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have some macro code written for my project in MSP 2002 which when executed in 2010 runs pretty slow. So to test out the performance of 2010 I created a macro which adds 2000 tasks. I ran the same macro in 2002 and 2010 and the difference is quite much.

Time taken in 2002 is 2-3 secs

Time taken in 2010 is 30-40 secs

FYI, I have 32 bit machine with XP service pack 3 installed and I can't upgrade to 64 bit machine or any other OS as it involves huge cost for the company I work for.

If anyone has faced the similar problem and has a solution to it, please respond.

Here is the macro:

Sub create_simpleTasks()
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim starttime 'As Double
    Dim t As Task
    starttime = Time
    Calculation = pjManual
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text1"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text2"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text3"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text4"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text5"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text6"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text7"
      TableEdit Name:="&Entry", TaskTable:=True, NewName:="", FieldName:="", NewFieldName:="Text8"
      TableApply Name:="entry"
    For i = 1 To 1000
      Set t = ActiveProject.Tasks.Add("Task " & i)
      t.Text1 = "Text" & i
      t.Text2 = "Requirements"
      t.Text3 = "None (01-Feb-2012)"
      t.Text4 = "Text4"
      t.Text5 = "Text5"
      t.Text6 = "Text6"
      t.Text7 = "Text7"
      t.Text8 = "Text8"
    Next i
    Debug.Print " Start: " & starttime & vbCr & "End: " & Time
    Calculation = pjAutomatic
    End Sub

Regards,

vip82

vipsy
    Monday, April 25, 2011 10:33 AM

Answers

• vipsy,

I hate to throw cold water on your issue but from all indications, this is NOT a Microsoft problem. It is an internal company issue. I indicated in my initial response back in April that although your code did run slightly slower with Project 2010 than with previous versions when I tested it on my PC, the difference is nowhere near the difference you see. The difference you see can only be explained by some difference in configuration of your basic PC setup.

I would first approach your IT department and solicit their help in attempting to isolate the problem. I'm just guessing here but in my opinion that is going to be a whole lot easier than trying to convince Microsoft to solve what appears to be an internal issue. And, you might find out that your company already has a support contract with Microsoft and in that case Julie's suggestion is worth a try.

John

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:41 PM

All replies

• vipsy,

I suspect there is something else going on, (i.e. some other operation hogging processor time), when you run the macro on Project 2010. I have Project 2010 32 bit version running under Parallels emulation on a iMac. I use Windows 7 on that particular virtual machine. When I ran your macro the total execution time was 4 seconds.

I then also ran your macro under Project 2003 SP3 - I don't have Project 2002. That virtual machine runs on Windows XP Pro. Total execution time was 1 second. Certainly faster than Project 2010 but not by an order of magnitude.

I'd take a look at your [Project 2010] PC configuration and see if there are any applications running in the background.

John

Monday, April 25, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for sparing time for my query. I would like to tell you that I am using my company's laptop and there are some background processes that do run. But the thing is that they run for the 2002 version as well.

I ran this macro approx at the same time so there is no question that any extra process has taken up memory for 2010.

And the configuration that I had mentioned is the same one that is going to be used for my project for all the users. So, I have no luck there as well.

Please help.. :-)

Vipsy

vipsy
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Vipsy,

I suggest you temporarily disable all other processes that may be running and then try the macro. Hopefully you will be able to isolate which processes are causing the impact. Project 2010 and Windows 7 have significant differences from earlier versions and as a result you may need to modify your configuration when you use Project 2010.

Change may be inevitable but that doesn't always mean it is better.

John

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion John, but as I mentioned I am using a company provided laptop, we do not have privilege to disable the background processes as those are implemented for security purposes.

To add to that same processes are running for 2002 as well. So I guess the background processes should not be a big problem here. In case that is the main cause, I don't see any recommendation from Microsoft that MSP 2010 should run in isolation.

Vipsy.

vipsy
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

I would really like somebody from Microsoft specially from MSP 2010 team to respond to my problem.

Vipsy

vipsy
    Monday, May 9, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Hello vipsy,

I would not expect an answer here from the Project team.  While members do drop in from time to time, the only guaranteed method of getting their attention is to open a support incident.

Julie

Monday, May 9, 2011 2:28 PM
  • vipsy,

I hate to throw cold water on your issue but from all indications, this is NOT a Microsoft problem. It is an internal company issue. I indicated in my initial response back in April that although your code did run slightly slower with Project 2010 than with previous versions when I tested it on my PC, the difference is nowhere near the difference you see. The difference you see can only be explained by some difference in configuration of your basic PC setup.

I would first approach your IT department and solicit their help in attempting to isolate the problem. I'm just guessing here but in my opinion that is going to be a whole lot easier than trying to convince Microsoft to solve what appears to be an internal issue. And, you might find out that your company already has a support contract with Microsoft and in that case Julie's suggestion is worth a try.

John

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:41 PM