App-v5 with SCCM2012, removing a distribution point causing network error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we currently deploy our applications via sccm 2012. We have 5 distribution points.

We have recently removed one of the servers from the distribution group because of some issues with the server. The server is still switched on.

Looking at my appv clients, when I try and stream applications I am getting a network error. When I run the get-appvclientpackage command I can see the paths of applications are still set to the DP that has been removed from the distribution group. I've rebooted the pc and still the same behaviour. Do we need to do more than just remove the DP from the distribution group? I was hoping it would detect the DP was missing and resolve to a different DP.  

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:59 AM

Answers

• No, Distribution Point Groups are for distributing the Content from the Package Share to the actual DPs. Meaning, you distribute an Application to a DP Group that contains 40 DPs and all 40 DPs are getting the Content.

However, Clients use Boundaries / Boundary Groups to find their Distribution Point and other Site System Roles.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:20 PM

All replies

• Is the DP still in a Boundary Group?

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Yes it is.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Removing a DP from a Distribution Point Group will not affect Client Communications to this DP. If you want to stop the DP from providing Content to Clients, you have to remove it from the Boundary Group in which the Client is located.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Thanks Simon, this makes sense. Our server team did not want to remove it from the boundary because it is also a management point. They thought we could just remove the server from the distribution group and the clients would go to the next available DP.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:17 PM
  • No, Distribution Point Groups are for distributing the Content from the Package Share to the actual DPs. Meaning, you distribute an Application to a DP Group that contains 40 DPs and all 40 DPs are getting the Content.

However, Clients use Boundaries / Boundary Groups to find their Distribution Point and other Site System Roles.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:20 PM