Adding/changing groups to the Default Privacy Settings on user profiles attributes RRS feed

• Question

• We have scenario where we have to show users profile information in our Internet site. We will use our Sharepoint 2007 user profile informations for that and users can choose which information they want to show in Internet site. Can we somehow edit these five pre-set groups (Everyone, Only Me, My Workgroup, My Colleagues, My Manager) or add new group that fits to our needs? In out intra environment we show all users profile information with Everyone group and actually Everyone group could be enough if we can duplicate and rename it for the use of internet site. After that we can pull out list of user properties with that group and still show information in our intra with that same group...

If this is not possible with SP2007 what about SP2010 and SP2013?

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:33 AM

Answers

• As I said that edit page is dynamically created so there is no way to put two properties on the same line without actually manually creating a custom edit page.  One potential workaround would be to create a section for each pair of properties.  They wouldn't be on the same line, but would be grouped together on the edit page.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Miikkal Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:44 AM
  • You're welcome!

MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Miikkal Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:14 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:02 PM

All replies

• Those Privacy groups are hard coded into the code in SharePoint and can't be added to or changed.  I know that is true for both 2007 and 2010.  I haven't specifically looked in 2013, but I doubt it has changed there either since it would require modification of a lot of code that uses those settings.

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. I'll give up with that one.... Does anybody knows is it possible then to show two user profile properties in one row in editprofile.aspx page? It just would be nice to have that choose option yes or no (to show or not to in Internet site) in same line with "main" property. I can ofcourse hide proverty value from the editprofile.aspx and then show any value with SPSWC:ProfilePropertyValue next to main table but it'll only show the value and users cannot edit that... any ideas to make some progress with my matter?
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:20 AM
  • sorry, I'm not really clear on what you are trying to accomplish.  If you'll provide a little more detailed example I'll try to help.

The Editprofile.aspx page crates the list of properties to be edited dynamically, so it can pick up the newly created custom properties.  since it is dynamically generated it treats each property the same, so there would be no way to get two properties on the same line.

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Hi there, thanks again for your fast answer. I made picture where you can see what I'm trying to accomplish. Properties are in Finnish so don't mind about that... Let's say we have user property called Name and then we want our users to be able to choose do they want that property to be seen in our internet pages (user contact card). We will also create new property called something like NameInternet where users can choose Yes or No. What I want is to show Name and NameInternet properties in same lime. If every property goes to own line in this case editprofile page will not be so user friendly. I know that we have to create own Yes or No property to every user property we want users to be able to choose. That's probably stupid way to do it but I'm not that much developer/programmer.

After that I can make xml file from user profiles with Powershell and that's all we need at the moment. 

BTW your blog is great!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:59 AM
  • As I said that edit page is dynamically created so there is no way to put two properties on the same line without actually manually creating a custom edit page.  One potential workaround would be to create a section for each pair of properties.  They wouldn't be on the same line, but would be grouped together on the edit page.

• Marked as answer by Miikkal Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Sorry for late answer. BIG thank you for you!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:45 PM
  • You're welcome!

MVP Principal Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group

• Marked as answer by Miikkal Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:14 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:02 PM