none
MS Project unable to bublish items to Project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever certain users open the MS Project client to connect to EPM and publish a project, the standard dialogue does not display. Instead, it displays a dialogue prompting the user to save the project on their local computer. The users can however see a full list of projects on EPM when they select the ‘open’ option. The user has appropriate access to EPM and has the correct connection to the server.

We looked at the user’s Active Directory membership and noticed that when a user is moved to certain containers, the User can afterwards operate MS Project as per usual. When the user is moved back to the previous container the problem occurs again. How can a domain policy have an effect on this?

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:25 AM

All replies

• HI,

Is you PWA user grous are  configured to be synchronized with certain groups in AD? this could be the reason, please check this which AD groups are synch with appropriate groups in PWA.

you can check this by browsing to PWA -> server settings -> User Groups, see for AD Synch details available along with each group.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hello Khurram,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Unfortunately we are not using AD sync in this implementation. What protocol is used when a connection is established between MS projects and epm? Is there in any way a Group policy that might cause this problem?

I have never come across this issue.Thanks!

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:17 AM
  • HI,

its a simple ODBC connection to create link between MS project and database, and it verifies user priviliges as defined in Project server. such as if user is allowed to connect with server, or save and publish date to server etc etc ..

1st thing to check, are you using Project Professional enterprise version? because only enterprise version can connect with server.

2nd which version of Project professional you are using to connect with server? in case of Project 2007, you need to enable project 2007 compatibility support in server.

3rd, also check again for particular user group defined in PWA, if you haven't changed the default permissions of the groups then team lead and project manager groups are allowed to connect with server. 

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Make sure that the users have the Category permission "Publish Project" for the projects they are trying to publish.  Also make sure that this permission is not set to Deny in any other Category with which those users are associated.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 8, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hi guys,

I think I might have isolated the cause. When users perform all the necessary tasks from MY machine (which is not on the client's domain) they can work without any problem.

I also noted that they are unable to view any SSRS reports. They get the standard 'cannot connect to datasource' error. Once again, when they use my machine, they can view the reports.

Furthermore, in a test, we tried creating a simple ODBC connection to the Project DB server but this did not work.

Everything points to a domain policy issue, either on user policies or machine policies. We are now in the process of reviewing the entire policy applied to the affected users.

I am just not sure what can possible deny the appropriate traffic to the server.

I will update our progress as we go along.

Regards,

Warren

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:16 AM