DNS Setup on network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a windows 2012 servers. I have HP Meraki Router.

The router is the DHCP server and DNS server.

I am looking to find out what he best setup would be for the servers with DNS . 

Do I just need to setup a reverse DNS on the main server.

Right now workstations are taking a long time to log into the server. If i set the dns on the workstations to the server ip address it  will log n very quickly.

Thanks 

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:31 AM

All replies

• The Meraki DNS is probably not a DNS server, but rather a DNS-Proxy that forwards all requests to a public DNS server. It does not host it's own zone.

if you have an Active Directory domain controller, the DNS should be the domain controller IP address for all workstations and servers in the network. Then the DNS server on the domain controller uses forwarders to point to the Meraki DNS (or public DNS) for internet DNS resolving.

A reverse DNS does not make things go faster, and you cannot separate the reverse lookup zone and forward lookup zones on different DNS servers. If you host the DNS on the Domain Controller you can also host the reverse lookup zone too.

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:48 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. One more question.

So if my AD Server is 10.0.1.1 with DNS server running .

I should set the DNS on the Router to assign 10.0.1.1 for DNS 1 to all clients.

And then I could have the server forward dns to the router or internet DNS like 8.8.8.8. ?

IS that correct

Thanks S

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:59 AM
  • That is correct!
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:05 AM