Formatting Glitch RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing a glitch in Microsoft Word & Powerpoint for a couple months now.  Every time I try to change the colour of my font or want to add a symbol or bullet point, it works the 1st time and whenever I try it a 2nd time in a different area, it crashes.  When I open it back up I try to do it again; it works the 1st time and then why I try it again in another spot, it crashes.  It's extremely frustrating because I have to force quit and then wait for it to reload the document that didn't even save what I was trying to do.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:01 AM

All replies

• Hi esralauraleia,

What's the detailed version of your Word and PowerPoint? You may collect the build number of the application via File > Account > About Word.
    Is there any error message when the crash occurs?

Please try to start Word in safe mode (Press Win + R, type"winword /safe", press Enter.) and see if the issue persists. This helps eliminates if the problems is related to any third party add-ins.

If it doesn't help, please try to repair Office via Control Panel and see the result.

Besides, please have a check at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if anything useful would be recorded out there. To review the Microsoft Office Alerts log, follow these steps:
    1.In Control Panel, open Administrative Tools.
    2.Double-click Event Viewer.
    3.In the navigation pane, select Microsoft Office Alerts under Applications and Services Logs.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Do you see this happening in specific files, or can you reproduce it in any file?

Also, is there a printer driver installed and set as the Windows default?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:21 PM