Windows XP, WebDav service status shows "Stopping" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have several Windows XP machines that when logging in the WebClient (WebDav) Service shows the status of "Stopping"

This was brought to my attention by several customers running an application that requires the service started and the startup type set Automatic.

My first thought was that the problem was being caused by the software that is requiring the service (because none of my lab machines showed this symptom) and that they should bring it up with the vendor.  The customers then reported the failure on computers prior to installing the vendors software (apparently the install fails with the service not running)

Once the service is in a "stopping" status, it can not be started again.  After further investigation, I did find a couple of workarounds.  The first is to disable the wireless card (with a manual switch on the laptops) on the next reboot the service is working fine.  This is not ideal becuase the customers constantly use there laptops wirelessly.  And this will not work while they are at home becuase most of them do not have a non-wireless option at home.  (who does anymore?)

The other solution I found is to set the service to manual rather than Automatic.  The computers no longer have the failure, and when any software needs the service it should be able to start it.  (manaully starting the service works fine)  But, according to the customer, who has contacted the vendor this is not acceptable, the vendor software requires the service in automatic and already started.

Another possible cause is that it may be related to a driver issue for the wireless card.  All systems affected are similar hardware (HP EliteBook 8440p and 8460p) I have tried updating drivers for the wireless card/bluetooth/BIOS anything that I can think of that may cause this.  None of this has helped.

I guess I have two questions:

1.  Any ideas on what is causing this?  I'm not even sure it is related to the wireless, I am only investigating this becuase shutting off the wireless resolves the issue.

2. Any way to find any log that will show me exactly why this service is failing.  I see nothing in any of the event logs, and I have turned on verbose logging and investigated those logs, there is no WebClient or WebDav entry in any of them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:23 PM