none
FSIS Install RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to give the community a little issue we ran across when trying to patch FSIS.  Patching requires you to run the post-install script after installing the patch. The issue is it requires you to run it with the same "options" as the original install. This was an issue for us as we didn't have the original powershell command exactly so the script would fail. It took a few times before getting it correct. So if you install FSIS you will need to save off the original install post script powershell command you run for future use.

Rob - Can you see this gets added to the install instructions going forward? It can keep other from pulling all nighters just to patch.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Friday, October 28, 2011 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the post and sorry you experienced frustration with this.  In reviewing the patch available at the below link:

http://connect.microsoft.com/fastsearch/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=38221

I believe the “Release notes FSIS 2010 Patch 02 (1.0.92.91).xps” file that is available with the patch covers this on page 6, step 3:
    Run the post-install script with the following command: C:\Program Files\<FSIS installation directory>\Installer\Scripts\InstallConfig.ps1 -action p <options>. The security configuration options on the ”InstallConfig.ps1 -action p” command line must match the same options on the original install (installConfig –action i).

Would you suggest changes to the above?

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Rob,

I wouldn't change the patch documentation. I would change the original install documentation.  That is where a user would need to hold on to the "options" for future patches. Somehow a note needs to stand out to the installer letting them know these options will be needed in future patching so they don't get months away from the install and have no clue what options were used. We installed FSIS in Feb. and now are trying to patch. I had no clue what the install options were that we used.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the suggestion.  After some discussion, I do not believe that I have a way to change the original installation documentation, but I have submitted a KB article with this as a best practice that can supplement the documentation.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service & Support                          Microsoft | Services

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:35 PM