none
Problems imaging a HP ProBook 650 G2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use WDS&MDT to deploy our Windows 7 images on different brands and models of machines. Recently we bought some HP ProBook 650 G2 laptops with which we have a lot of problems reimaging them. This is a summary of the problems when we try to deploy a Win 7 Pro x64bit image:
    a. if I define the task sequence variable DriverGroup001 and create a folder for the Make and Model of the model, after the wim file is deployed, when Windows try to start for the first time I have BSOD. This happens even the Model folder doesn't have any drivers loaded.
    b. the same thing happens if I don't define the TS variable and I just set the TS too look for all matching drivers 
    c. if I define the TS variable, but I don't create the folder tree (Make&Model) then the image deploys and Windows starts with no drivers loaded indeed (and TS fails as expected because of lack of network connectivity to continue - no ethernet drivers).
    d. I was only able to deploy a very old image (with a version of Windows last updated in 2014), but on the moment I updated it fails too 
    e. if I deploy the image using "c" option and after I load the drivers manually, Windows works without problems. Also Windows works well if I deploy the old image and after the imaging process I update Windows manually. 
    f. I checked the BDD.log but I couldn't find anything useful. 
    g. I incline to think there is a problem somewhere between windows updates, model drivers and how MDT works (injecting the drivers), but I couldn't find anything helpful until now. 
    Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

• Edited by Doru1234 Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:51 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have the nvme driver and OS patch for nvme support? 

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/521/Back-to-Basics-Building-a-Windows-7-SP1-Reference-Image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Thank you for your the sugestions. I loaded the driver (from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23929/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers) and the patch (from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2990941), but still I got my BSOD when Windows tried to start. 

Anyway I wonder if this is the problem because if Windows would had had problems recognizing the driver than the image with the older version of Windows or the the one updated, but without drivers, shouldn't work, but in both these cases Windows starts fine.

One more note: we are still using MDT 2012, Update 1 (6.1.2373.0).

• Edited by Doru1234 Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:32 PM
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:31 PM
  • You haven't said what bugcheck.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:12 PM
  • In this scenario:

"a. if I define the task sequence variable DriverGroup001 and create a folder for the Make and Model of the model, after the wim file is deployed, when Windows try to start for the first time I have BSOD. This happens even the Model folder doesn't have any drivers loaded."

What value do you have for the selection profile in the Inject Drivers task sequence step?

Do you have any values defined in CS.ini for drivers like DriverSelectionProfile?

It is possible that windows is finding a PnP match in another driver folder if you have "All Drivers" set as a selection profile in the Inject Drivers TS step. You can try setting the profile to "Nothing" and see if it helps.

Regards,

Darren

Sunday, April 24, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Yes, the TS inject driver is set on Nothing and the TS variable is set to look for the apropriate driver folder taking in consideration the OS, the Make and Model. If by bugcheck you mean the BSOD error code this is 0x0000007E. And if I try to start the machine is Safe Mode it brakes when it reaches disk.sys
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 11:13 PM
  • 7e is inaccessible boot device. Since you have the nvme patch and driver some other relevant storage driver is missing.

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:48 AM
  • There is an additional patch mentioned in the KB for the nvme patch https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3087873

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:06 AM
  • In the end I think I figure out the problem. Thank you all for your help! I think the NVME driver and the patch helped, but I found also a rogue driver that whenever I was loading it to MDT was causing the BSOD (if I just intsall it on already deployed image it was ok). Unfortunately, to find it I ended up adding one by one all the driver. But, at least now it's working!

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:33 PM
  • Hello Doru1234,

I am facing the same issue with this laptop model.
    Very interested to know which one was the rogue driver...

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi, 

I too am facing this exact problem with this model laptop - no SSD, plain SATA drive

Am currently testing drivers one by one...would love to know which driver was causing the problem for the original poster? Any chance you could post back and let us know what the problem driver was?

Cheers, 

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:29 AM
  • Hi guys

Same problem here. We also try to deploy our Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 image (with the recommended patches) but after the wim file is deployed, when Windows try to start for the first time, we have BSOD as well.

Regards

Chris

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Hello to all

In our environment the following drivers were the problem:

• Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller
    • Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED

The drivers are in the following driver package:

• Conexant High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

I removed the drivers from the driver package and the staging with sccm works now.

Best regards
    Chris

Thursday, July 7, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi Chris, 

thanks for the tip! I found 2 problem drivers

1. Intel RST sp74082.exe
    2. Conexant High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver sp74946.exe

I have used older versions of these drivers, looks ok now. 

1. sp71552.exe
    2. sp74197.exe

Cheers

Monday, July 11, 2016 11:48 PM
  • We are having the same issue when imaging Win7 and Win10 for this model.  We are using MDT 2013 update 2 with latest Windows ADK 10.  I just tried removing the audio drivers as suggested, but still getting BSOD once it images and tries to boot into Windows for the first time.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:28 PM
  • Hi,

please upload your Memory.dmp file

Bis dann, Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft dann markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

• Edited by tonibert Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:39 PM
  • Have you found a resolution to what you are experiencing?  I'm having the same issue with a 640 G2 and 820 G3.  If i uncheck the audio in the bios, then imaging works fine and it will finish.   I've had success enabling audio in the bios once the imaging is done and then it will boot.  However, some times it still doesn't boot. 

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:27 PM
  • I was having the same issue, how I diagnosed it was this:

1. Disable Audio Device in the BIOS.
    2. Deploy image
    3. Enable Audio Device in the BIOS.
    4. Allow to bluescreen
    5. Disable Audio Device in the BIOS
    6. Allow to boot.
    7. Grab memory dump file (C:\Windows\minidump\*.dmp
    8. Open dump file with BlueScreenView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

The Filename in the dump analysis should be the driver causing the crash. For me it was:

IntcAudioBus.sys, which was included with Conexant HD Audio - SP74946. I deleted this from my HP ProBook 650 G2 folder in MDT and no longer bluescreen.

I am now using Conexant Audio - SP74197 successfully.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_166142_1

Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:27 PM