Internet Explorer 10/11 hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Scenario - Windows 7, IE 11, IE 10 and the newly released App-V 5.1 agent.

Previously we were using App-V 5.0 SP3.

The Application event log shows two faults:

1. Faulting module : EMET.DLL
    2. Faulting module : NTDLL.DLL

I removed App-V 5.1 and sure enough IE 11 / IE 10 stops crashing. I re-installed it, rebooted and IE starts crashing again.

I removed the two following lines in the registry and IE 10 / IE 11 stops crasching:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / AppV / Client /Virtualization

ProcessesUSingVirtualComponents

Data:

%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe

Is this a known issue with a supported resolution or do we have to go back to 5.0?

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:43 AM

Answers

• This is a known issue for now. If you have upgraded from earlier version to App-V 5.1, this issue happens.

Either you can try new install without upgrading or remove the lines form the registry. Also renaming the AppVSentinel * .dll  to AppVSentinel * .old will help to resolve the case.

Hope Microsoft will release fix for this soon.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Hotfix 1 for the 5.1 Client, which adresses this, should come by the End of this Month, as far as i'm informed.

If you have already upgraded a large amount of Clients, you can also remove IE from Virtual Components using the following GPO Setting: System\App-V\Virtualization\Virtual Component Process Whitelist = %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:49 AM
  • HF1 for App-V 5.1 will be delayed from initially End of October to Mid of November.

More Information (in german): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2015/10/28/10650718.aspx

Friday, October 30, 2015 8:38 AM

All replies

• This is a known issue for now. If you have upgraded from earlier version to App-V 5.1, this issue happens.

Either you can try new install without upgrading or remove the lines form the registry. Also renaming the AppVSentinel * .dll  to AppVSentinel * .old will help to resolve the case.

Hope Microsoft will release fix for this soon.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Hotfix 1 for the 5.1 Client, which adresses this, should come by the End of this Month, as far as i'm informed.

If you have already upgraded a large amount of Clients, you can also remove IE from Virtual Components using the following GPO Setting: System\App-V\Virtualization\Virtual Component Process Whitelist = %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:49 AM
  • HF1 for App-V 5.1 will be delayed from initially End of October to Mid of November.

More Information (in german): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2015/10/28/10650718.aspx

Friday, October 30, 2015 8:38 AM
  • We also have this issue since rolling out the 5.1 Client. 

I.E. 11 hangs when opening new tabs, sometimes on the first tab, sometimes after opening 3 or 4 tabs. Nothing consistent about it, except that it happens very often.

Removing the App-V 5.1 client stops the I.E. crashes.

Thanks Microsoft for such fantastic quality control. I guess your test scripts didn't cover this scenario.

Monday, November 2, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Here is the Long-awaited HF1 for App-V 5.1: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115834

• Proposed as answer by WichardHartes Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for posting Simon!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:49 AM