Server Manager Role error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this message on a Ms-Windows 2008 R2 enterprise ed (x64).
    I've tried to install hyper V.
    I've ROLE : Error on the gui
    and the following error in the server manager log file

2264: 2010-03-08 14:50:15.629 [Provider]                  C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist.
    2264: 2010-03-08 14:50:15.630 [CBS]                       IsCacheStillGood: False.
    2264: 2010-03-08 14:50:15.632 [CBS] Error (Id=0) Function: 'CreateSessionAndPackage()->CoCreateInstance' failed: 80070422 (-2147023838)
    2264: 2010-03-08 14:50:15.635 [ExceptionHandler] Error (Id=0) An unexpected exception was found:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070422): The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.CreateSessionAndPackage(IntPtr& session, IntPtr& package)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.InitializeUpdateInfo()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ComponentInstaller.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Common.Provider.RefreshDiscovery()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.LocalResult.PerformDiscovery()
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.CreateLocalResult(RefreshType refreshType)
       at Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.ServerManagerModel.InternalRefreshModelResult(Object state)

I've 3 server with the same configuration, patches and installed software working without problem.
    Could you please help me to fix this  ?

Thanks

Mick

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Mickael,

Thank you for the reply.

The CheckSUR.log does not show any error.

I noticed in the Servermanager.log file, there is any error: “C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist”.

Sometimes the C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache folder could be deleted by Symantec EndPoint Protection software.

If you have Symantec EndPoint Protection software, please disable or remove it first.

I suggest restoring the Cache folder to the state when CbsUpdateState.bin existed.

Open C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager, right-click Cache and click Properties. On the Previous Version tab, choose a folder version which contains the CbsUpdateState.bin file and click Restore.

If the issue persists, we may need to reinstall .Net Framework components.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, March 19, 2010 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run the System Update Readiness Tool from the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Then please let me know the result in %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 15, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help.

I've ran KB947821 on the server and the log reports no error as you can see in the log :

=================================
    Checking System Update Readiness.
    Binary Version 6.1.7600.20593
    Package Version 7.0
    2010-03-15 09:44

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
    Seconds executed: 132
     No errors detected
    =================================

Is it possible to reinstall or reset ServerManager to its "Default settings" without having to reisntall or repair Windows ?
    Is a serverManager installation package available from Microsoft website ?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Monday, March 15, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mickael,

Thank you for the reply.

The CheckSUR.log does not show any error.

I noticed in the Servermanager.log file, there is any error: “C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache\CbsUpdateState.bin does not exist”.

Sometimes the C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager\Cache folder could be deleted by Symantec EndPoint Protection software.

If you have Symantec EndPoint Protection software, please disable or remove it first.

I suggest restoring the Cache folder to the state when CbsUpdateState.bin existed.

Open C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager, right-click Cache and click Properties. On the Previous Version tab, choose a folder version which contains the CbsUpdateState.bin file and click Restore.

If the issue persists, we may need to reinstall .Net Framework components.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim Quan Friday, March 19, 2010 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hello.  Is this topic still open?  I am having the same problem as described above except that WSUR hangs and never produces a report.  Windows update is also not working correctly. 

Please let me know if there are any known fixes to this issue.

-Dave

-Dave Hall
    Friday, November 19, 2010 5:18 AM