none
Tape within retention period needs to be recataloged RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a retention period for Short-Term Protection of 21 days and for Long-Term Protection of 99 Years. I do a tape-backup every month. When I try to restore from a tape older than around 30 days I have to recatalog the tape. Tape catalog retention is set to prune when retention periode expires. I expected this would be 99 years.

Is this a known bug? Any suggestions.

Best regards

Andreas

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert.

I don't understand what you mean.

Our goal is to have all details of every tape in the DPM database as long as the retention period for the tapes has not expired. Why are the catalogs pruned before the retention period has expired?

Best regards

Andreas

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

What version DPM are you using.  You can get the version by clicking on the "i" Icon on the DPM console. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Hi.

DPM 2010, Version 3.0.7706.0

Best regards

Andreas

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:25 PM
  •  

OK - I am not aware of any problems in this area, and have not heard this from other customers.  My test machine only has recovery points going back to July, and I did not have to recatalog to view the data on those tapes. 

As a workaround, you can select the 2nd option and prune when tapes are older that X years.   Tapes that expire should still be pruned.  See if that helps you.

Although there have been no fixes in this area that I'm aware of, you are one rollup release back.

2465832 Description of the hotfix rollup package for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010: March 2011
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2465832

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi Mike.

I will try your suggestion and set the second option.

I did some further investigations. Seems that "only" catalogs from files (e.g. list of all files on a volume) is pruned after the short term retention period has ended. For Hyper-V protections, SQL-DBs and Sharepoint the catalog for tapes is retained correctly.

Any ideas?

Best regrads
    Andreas

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Hi,

Customer has 3.0.7707.0. Has only been active for about a month or so and just doesn't have a lot of tapes. Database size is 1.1GB for mdf and 512MB for ldf. Isn't this kind of huge? I just tried setting pruning for 2 weeks. Says current catalog size is 0.79GB. Seems to have cleared the Alert. Help button really doesn't convey any worthwhile explanation for what's going on here.

The tape data can't possibly have even hit the MB range, so why would "pruning" tape history have any significant affect on the database size?

And is their a limit on the database size?

What's actually going on here?

I'd much rather preserve backup history for as long as I can.

Thanks,

Bob.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:08 AM
  • BobH2,

Of the 1.1GB dpmdb size, 790MB is for the tape catalog data.  I would not be concerned of the DB size.

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:26 AM
  • Hi everyone,

I can confirm what BobH2 experienced. Although the tape retention period for monthly backups is set to 120 months the tape catalog gets pruned and I can't even see the contents of last month's restore point.

I will wait for the next monthly restore point and then check every day if I still can see it's content to determine the exact duration after it gets pruned.

If you don't have a solution for this issue I will also go with the second option and keep the catalogue manually 120 months.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hi Mike.

I will try your suggestion and set the second option.

I did some further investigations. Seems that "only" catalogs from files (e.g. list of all files on a volume) is pruned after the short term retention period has ended. For Hyper-V protections, SQL-DBs and Sharepoint the catalog for tapes is retained correctly.

Any ideas?

Best regrads
    Andreas

I too have this exact issue.  Once the STP expiration date is reached I lose all my tape catalogs but only for file-based protection.  I had this with 2010 and hoped that 2012 would resolve but alas no.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:21 AM
  • I too have this exact issue.  Once the STP expiration date is reached I lose all my tape catalogs but only for file-based protection.  I had this with 2010 and hoped that 2012 would resolve but alas no.

Hi.

I use a DPM 2012 With SP1 Version:4.1.3426.0

And have the same issue too.

• Edited by v.sylantiev Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 10:47 AM