none
DPM2010 Restoring Virtual Machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I am currently testing DPM 2010 When trying to restore the virtual machines from the protection manager. It warns me that I am only restoring the VHD. Is there anyone to backup the entire Virtual Machine itself and restore it.

I have already install the prerequisite patches on the host server and have install the Hyper V role and enable VT on the DPM 2010 server.

KB975354

KB975921

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You are selecting the .vhd file on the right under recoverable item.  Move up one level on the left pane where you are expanding the servers protected data.  When the guest is displayed, right-click the guest and choose the restore option.

FYI - This is a common mistake, even I make it now and then.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You are selecting the .vhd file on the right under recoverable item.  Move up one level on the left pane where you are expanding the servers protected data.  When the guest is displayed, right-click the guest and choose the restore option.

FYI - This is a common mistake, even I make it now and then.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:05 PM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it
    Friday, August 13, 2010 11:22 AM
  • When I go up a level my recover option is grey out when i select the guest.

on another note how do i re-open a thread?

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Not sure how to re-open one since I've never started one 8-)

However, if you highlight the "backup using chind partition snapshot\guest_name" under the recoveralble Item, there should be dates high lighted in the calandar, and if you right-click, you should also have the option to "show all recovery points" - does that work, if so, chose one and click the recover button.

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Nope I can't right click on them and show all recovery point option is grey out on the right hand side.

Do I need to also backup the initial store and barebone restore as well in order to restore the virtual machine?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:31 PM
  • No - you only need to backup the guest by selecting "backup using child partition snapshot\guest_name" and restore by selecting the same item under the restore tab.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:46 PM
  • I tried recreate my Protection group but I am getting the same issue.

When i highlight the "backup using child partition  snapshot\guest_name" the show all recovery point is still gray out. My host server is Window Server 2008 R2. Has anyone else encounter this issue?

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Does DPM actually backup the config XML itself? or does it just backup the VHD?
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:40 PM
  • DPM 2010 will backup the main .vhd's, the xml file, and any hyper-V snapshots associated with the guest.   When you store a guest (either to a host, or to a file share / volume, all of the above will be restored.

I'm afraid nobody else has reported the issue you are facing, so don't really know why you are having this trouble.

Friday, August 27, 2010 10:21 PM