Server Manager (Online - Data retrieval failures occurred) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have an issue with 2 of our domain controllers throwing up manageability errors from server manager. Both are showing the "Online - Data retrieval failures occurred" error.

Upon checking the ServerManager-ManagementProvider error log on each of the 2 DCs in question, both are presenting an event ID 46 with the following details...

Generic failure querying the localized name for channel: Directory Service [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

I am running Server Manager on Windows 2012 r2 using an account with Domain Admin privileges and I have successfully remotely browsed to the Directory Service log for each DC using Event Viewer so I know that the event log file exists for both servers.

Both of the problem servers in question are running Windows 2012 r2 core and have been recently upgraded (in-place) from 2008 r2 prior to being promoted as domain controllers.

I have seen a similar technet solution that involved deleting the registry key for the event log causing the problem (see link) but I wouldn't fancy deleting the key for the Directory Services log! :-S 

Has any one got any ideas on how to fix this issue?

• Edited by LeonEvans Friday, March 27, 2015 11:53 AM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 11:35 AM

Answers

• I've just gone down the route of decommissioning both of the problem servers and re-installing a fresh copy of Windows rather than an in-place upgrade.

That seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know to avoid in-place upgrade for any of our other servers from now on ;-)

Regards,

Leon

• Marked as answer by LeonEvans Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by LeonEvans Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:07 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Dr_midge,

I also found a simiar thread, which is caused by installing and removing the PRTG software.

I would like to know if you had PRTG installed and removed it, in this case, the eventlog of PRTG might still be there, please check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog and remove the PRTG entry.

Please note Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems, please backup registry before editing.

Refer to:

Server manager problem retrieving data

In addition, please also check if the registry path exists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Directory Service

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Hi Anna,

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, PRTG hasn't previously been installed on any of the Servers and the relevant PRTG registry key doesn't exist.

Yes, the Directory Services event log registry key exists on both problem servers with the following settings...

Regards,

Leon

Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:13 AM
  • I've just gone down the route of decommissioning both of the problem servers and re-installing a fresh copy of Windows rather than an in-place upgrade.

That seems to have fixed the problem. I'll know to avoid in-place upgrade for any of our other servers from now on ;-)

Regards,

Leon

• Unmarked as answer by LeonEvans Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:07 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:07 AM