Why my system become slow after some weeks? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

When I install the Windows OS then My system become slow after some weeks. How can I troubleshoot it? I have an Antivirus software and it is up to date. I did "sfc /scannow" and it didn't find anything.

Thank you.

Sunday, March 4, 2018 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Windows.Geek.

As you know, computer performance is the result of both hardware and software configuration: you can perform a set of several, small adjustments in order to try to get a small or big performance gain.
    Talking about hardware, check for system scaling up opportunities, starting from the installed RAM: a bigger amount of the available physical RAM will surely give your system a certain performance boost.
    Talking about software, it is fundamental that the system's load will not be too much high to avoid poor performance or system deadlock.
    First of all, it is recommended to perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan on a regular basis, to keep the system free from unwanted software that could make it work slowly.
    Then you could consider removing unnecessary software programs and deactivating some or all of the ones automatically loaded and executed at system's startup: Autoruns could provide you with a comprehensive list of all the programs and services that are automatically started at Windows boot.
    Windows services too put a certain load on the system, so you can check all of them in order to find the ones whose loading could be postponed or that can be completely disabled, paying special attention to the ones loaded and executed in the context of the service host process (svchost.exe).
    Use Process Explorer: run it and hover the mouse pointer over each svchost.exe running instances, to make the program display a tooltip with the complete list of the hosted services, thus making you aware of the ones running within each svchost.exe instance in order to choose if any of them can be reviewed for deactivation.
    Another useful tool to perform real time monitoring of the system activities is Process Monitor, that allows you to perform a complete system boot trace in a text file by selecting the "Enable Boot Logging" command from the "Options" menu.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Sunday, March 4, 2018 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

Did your computer become slow when you run many programs background?

Here are some steps that you can troubleshoot the problem:

1.perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict.

2.Disable the Antivirus software temporary.

3.Open Task Manager to see if a program is of high cpu or memory.

4.You can also use the tool like Process Explorer or Windows Performance Toolkit to help analyze performance 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi Windows.Geek.

As you know, computer performance is the result of both hardware and software configuration: you can perform a set of several, small adjustments in order to try to get a small or big performance gain.
    Talking about hardware, check for system scaling up opportunities, starting from the installed RAM: a bigger amount of the available physical RAM will surely give your system a certain performance boost.
    Talking about software, it is fundamental that the system's load will not be too much high to avoid poor performance or system deadlock.
    First of all, it is recommended to perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan on a regular basis, to keep the system free from unwanted software that could make it work slowly.
    Then you could consider removing unnecessary software programs and deactivating some or all of the ones automatically loaded and executed at system's startup: Autoruns could provide you with a comprehensive list of all the programs and services that are automatically started at Windows boot.
    Windows services too put a certain load on the system, so you can check all of them in order to find the ones whose loading could be postponed or that can be completely disabled, paying special attention to the ones loaded and executed in the context of the service host process (svchost.exe).
    Use Process Explorer: run it and hover the mouse pointer over each svchost.exe running instances, to make the program display a tooltip with the complete list of the hosted services, thus making you aware of the ones running within each svchost.exe instance in order to choose if any of them can be reviewed for deactivation.
    Another useful tool to perform real time monitoring of the system activities is Process Monitor, that allows you to perform a complete system boot trace in a text file by selecting the "Enable Boot Logging" command from the "Options" menu.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

My system specifications is:

and "Autoruns" tells me :

As I said, My Antivirus software is up to date and it is OK.

Any idea?

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:12 AM
  • Hi,

4.You can also use the tool like Process Explorer or Windows Performance Toolkit to help analyze performance 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

How can I download "Windows Performance Toolkit" for Windows 7 64-bit?
    Monday, March 5, 2018 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

The Windows Performance Toolkit is part of the Windows SDK, which can be downloaded from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Monday, March 5, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

The Windows Performance Toolkit is part of the Windows SDK, which can be downloaded from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

No Windows 7?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

When did your system become slow? When you login the machine or specially run many programs?

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

No Windows 7?

Click the "Earlier Releases" at the bottom of the page and the older SDKs will be displayed too.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

When did your system become slow? When you login the machine or specially run many programs?

I just use "Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5" and "Adobe InDesign CS 5.5".
    Monday, March 12, 2018 6:20 AM
  • So only when you run these two programs, the computer becomes slow, right?

If so, it is caused by third-party software, which is out of our support scope.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

I just use "Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5" and "Adobe InDesign CS 5.5".

Use Windows Resource Monitor and check the system's activity while using those programs.
    I'd also suggest you to contact Adobe Support and ask for assistance: 16 GB of RAM should not be a problem to execute those programs, unless you're working on many big and complex objects in each program at the same time.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:48 AM
  • To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:38 AM