none
Steady State Power Scheme RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed MS Steadystate and all is well, except for one thing.

I want the computer and monitor to be "always on" and never hibernate, shut down or go to screen saver.

I want the computer and monitor to always be on and display a web page.

It appears, under Steadystate, that the monitor shuts down after 20 minutes.  I believe the computer hibernates after 2 hours as well, but I've only noticed that once, when I left it on overnight.

I've tried several things:

Turned all power options to "Always On" and no screen saver for the public profile.

Changes to registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/PowerCfg/CurrentPowerPolicy - changed to a "3"

I wasn't able to find anything in Group Policy.  Nor was I able to find anything in Steadystate to configure.

I also checked the BIOS for any settings and could find nothing there.

Is there a way to do this?  Is there a script or batch file or perhaps a scheduled task that can be implemented at certain intervals to keep the computer on and?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:35 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi, regarding the power scheme issue, I recommend you to check the two threads in our forum:

Laptop Power Setting for non-admin users

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2149369&SiteID=17

screen savers

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2983027&SiteID=17

Hope this helps!

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Helps, but doesn't resolve the issue...

1.  It's not a laptop.  It's a desktop.

2.  The "public" account has administrative privledges at the time I create it.  I go through and make all the configuration changes, including changing the power scheme to "always on" for the "public" account.

3.  When I'm confident all the configuration changes that I want are instituted, I switch the "public" account to limited.

4.  I then restart and install Steadystate, under the "Administrator" account.  I then install Steadystate and lock the computer down (or lock the "public" profile).

5.  When I log in with the "public" profile, the power scheme appears to return to "montior off" after 20 minutes.

I don't think it's a screen saver issue, I think its the power scheme.

Are you able to provide any more help?  Anything else I can try?

If there is no way to configure it, is there a program or script or something I can run every 15 minutes somehow, to keep the computer awake?

Thanks again, in advance

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:22 PM
  • I'm glad you asked that Wanker, cause I'm having the same exact issue, and I did exactly the same things you did to try to keep that damn screen saver turned off. I tried Sean's instructions on editing the registry but I didn't get far. I've never ''loaded a hive" before but I know how to follow instructions and when I got to that point where he says to load the hive, there wasn't an option to load the hive, it wouldn't let me. I probably either don't know what I'm doing or I am misunderstanding his instructions. In either case I'd like some clarification on what to do. I'm only having this problem on one OPAC but still, no one will approach the machine with a screen saver because they don't know what to do (believe it or not).

I want to deploy SS on my other Internet pc's that I'm running Comprises SAM, but this little issue needs resolving before I can do that. On a side note, I wonder what will happen when I have SS set to 'restart after log off' and how it will play with SAM at the end of the night. Our SAM machines are set to automatically shut down 15 minutes before we close. The SAM software does this by itself, so I'm worried that when it goes to shut off, will SS make it come back again?

I hope Sean can clarify things for us.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  

wanker, let's check if the following thread helps resolving the issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2640118&SiteID=17

fairlane32, can you see the option "load hive" in registry editor? If yes, please choose it and navigate to C:\Document and settings\[Username]  to load the file "NTUSER.DAT" so that we can follow the suggestions in the thread. If you have any other questions when following the steps, please also let me know.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:25 AM
  •  Sean Zhu - MSFT wrote:

wanker, let's check if the following thread helps resolving the issue:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2640118&SiteID=17

fairlane32, can you see the option "load hive" in registry editor? If yes, please choose it and navigate to C:\Document and settings\[Username]  to load the file "NTUSER.DAT" so that we can follow the suggestions in the thread. If you have any other questions when following the steps, please also let me know.

Sean, my mistake. I can load the hive, initially, and give it a name (RestrictedUser), but unloading the hive as instructed in step 7 didn't work, that option was greyed out. Also, are the restrictions supposed to be disabled before attempting these instructions, and then re-enabled?

I'll try it again..

Phil
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:18 PM