none
Empty Checkbox with Resource names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, does anyone know what the empty checkbox in front of some resource names means? This appears to be random, and there is no difference to be seen in the detailed information. At first I thought this has something to do with whether the resource name was recognized on SharePoint sync.. but that does not seem to be the case.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:22 PM

Answers

• Valgarour --

From your description, it sounds like you are using Microsoft Project 2013.  The empty checkboxes, as you call them, are a new feature called Lync integration.  If you supply an e-mail address for a team member in the Resource Sheet view, you will see the empty checkboxes.  If you have Lync installed in your organization, you can float your mouse pointer over a resource name and start a Lync communication session with them.  So, I believe that is what you are seeing.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:49 PM
  • I believe Dale is correct, this will be Lync Integration. 

I can replicate the Lync integration using a blank email address (actually with just a space).  When I click into the resource name, the box is displayed.

As for Lync being installed, I don't believe that matters. 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Valgardur,

Which view are you talking about for those checkboxes in front of the resource names? The resource center? The build team dialog box in Project Pro? Usually there are checkboxes in order to select the resource and go to a further step for the selected resources.

Please give us more information and we'll be pleased to help you.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific,

It appears "all over the place".

It is in the "Resource Sheet", "Resource Usage", "Gantt Chart" (in the Reouces Names column) and when assigning resource (pop up selection). 

I can select resources with or without this box, it makes no difference. 

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Valgarour --

From your description, it sounds like you are using Microsoft Project 2013.  The empty checkboxes, as you call them, are a new feature called Lync integration.  If you supply an e-mail address for a team member in the Resource Sheet view, you will see the empty checkboxes.  If you have Lync installed in your organization, you can float your mouse pointer over a resource name and start a Lync communication session with them.  So, I believe that is what you are seeing.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Thanks,

Yes Project 2013.

But I do not supply e-mail addresses and we don't use Lync.

At one point I thought it migth mean that the name was known in AD (or Outlook?) but the same resource sometimes has the boxes and sometimes not.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:26 PM
  • I believe Dale is correct, this will be Lync Integration. 

I can replicate the Lync integration using a blank email address (actually with just a space).  When I click into the resource name, the box is displayed.

As for Lync being installed, I don't believe that matters. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Thanks.

I must admit I find this weird.

I don't have Lync, sometimes this appears, sometimes not.. for exactly the same resource and same project.. a few hours ago only one out of three in a small project, now all three.

Of course not a big issue, just wandering if it is indicating that I need to address something.

Anyway, thanks

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Hi Valgardur,

I did register a bug with MS a while ago, where the Lync integration would be "remembered" between projects, so a if you have two projects open, with the same user name, the "lync" integration will cross between the two projects.

See attached screen shot, where I created the 2nd project (2) and created new resources (3) with the same names as the 1st project (1).  When I close the 1st project the integration remains.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:09 PM
  • OK, thanks, perhaps I should suggest an option to ignore Lync...

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:25 PM
  • I do not think this has anything to do with lync.  I get the same resources with and without the checkboxes on the same project. If you attempt to load a project into PWA with this "feature" exhibiting itself, the resource mapping feature treats the resource with the checkbox and the same resource without the checkbox as two separate resources so you can't map all effort to the same enterprise resource.  I can't seem to figure out how to create a unified view so that i can import.
    Monday, June 5, 2017 11:53 AM