none
Windows Server 2016 Essentials - Full System Restore from Surface Pro3 (Win 8.1) to Surface Pro4 RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Server 2016 Essentials forum is archived.  Which forum can help me with this issue?

I am running Windows Server 2016 Essentials in a domain environment.  I have successfully restored a Windows 10 Pro (SurfaceBook to SurfaceBook).  I am trying to upgrade a user with a Surface Pro3 running Windows 8.1 Pro to a Surface Pro4.  I have good backups of the Surface Pro3.  The SP3 has a 256GB SSD.  The SP4 has a 1TB SSD.

I have a WinPE disk that worked well with the SurfaceBook full system restore several weeks ago. 

I can boot off the WinPE disk on the SP3.  When I attempt to perform the full system restore with the default (recommended) settings it shows the System disk as 232GB which is expected.  The Recovery partition is 5.5G on the SP3 but during the full system restore it shows 730GB (the remainder of the 1TB SSD). 

The full system restore took ~2 hours.  After it completed it gave me a 0xc000000e error.  I did not try to perform a BCD repair.  I'm concerned with the excessively large Recovery partition.

I know that the full system restore requires similar computer hardware.  How can I determine if the SP3 and SP4 hardware are similar enough to perform a full system restore?  I'm going from a 256GB SSD on the SP3 to a 1TB SSD on the SP4.  Any idea why the full system restore grabbed the entire free space for the Recovery partition?

The goal is to perform a full system restore from the SP3 to the SP4 which would leave me with Windows 8.1 Pro on the SP4 with a much larger SSD.  After 2-3 weeks to ensure that all programs and data transferred cleanly I plan to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.

Questions:

1.  Why did Recovery partition grow from 5.5GB to ~730GB?

2.  How do I recover from the 0xc000000e error after performing a restore to the SP4?

3.  Do I need to perform another full system restore but do a custom Diskpart configuration to avoid the Recovery partition issue?

4.  How can I determine if the SP4 is sufficiently compatibility to the SP3 to support a full system restore? 

5.  SSD capacity is not an issue.  Are the motherboards (and associated drivers) sufficiently compatible?

Wednesday, October 21, 2020 7:49 PM