none
Initialize Data for e-mail runbook - Some successful, some warning RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of configuring Orchestrator to execute scheduled jobs for our organization.  I have pulled in close to 100 jobs and so far, things have generally been going well.

I basically have a runbook to schedule the job, another to execute it, then based on success or warning/failure of that job, an e-mail is generated.

My e-mail runbook works most of the time, but sometimes it throws a warning message for Initialize Data and an e-mail is not sent.  The warnings are not tied to a particular server or executable type, and there is no error summary text.  The schedule and execution runbooks are all very similar to each other, copied and pasted from template runbooks and passing the same parameters into the e-mail runbook.  Again, most are invoking the e-mail runbook successfully and an e-mail gets sent.

Any pointers on where I can dig deeper on this one?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

perhaps some Activities where the Published Data reference are not copied and the Published Data in the "Invoke Runbook" Activities are empty (point to not existing Objects in this Runbook).

If the parameter(s) in "Initialize Data" is not assigned when invoking the Runbook the Activity end with warning. You can configure the link to trigger even by warning or failure. Perhaps you see then what's happening.

Trigger always

If  this not enough you can debug:

• Specify an additional Parameter with the Name of the parent Runbook in "Initialize Data"
    • Make an additional link from "Initialize Data" to trigger "Apppend line" in case of warning or failure
    • Log the Parent Runbook Name and the Parameters.

Log warnings

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

• Marked as answer by lassja Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:18 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:57 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

perhaps some Activities where the Published Data reference are not copied and the Published Data in the "Invoke Runbook" Activities are empty (point to not existing Objects in this Runbook).

If the parameter(s) in "Initialize Data" is not assigned when invoking the Runbook the Activity end with warning. You can configure the link to trigger even by warning or failure. Perhaps you see then what's happening.

Trigger always

If  this not enough you can debug:

• Specify an additional Parameter with the Name of the parent Runbook in "Initialize Data"
    • Make an additional link from "Initialize Data" to trigger "Apppend line" in case of warning or failure
    • Log the Parent Runbook Name and the Parameters.

Log warnings

Regards,

Stefan

www.sc-orchestrator.eu , Blog sc-orchestrator.eu

• Marked as answer by lassja Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:18 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:57 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you, Stefan.  I do have some empty parameter fields, which will eventually be populated.  For now, I have Initialize Data in the e-mail runbooks set to proceed on success and warning.

It's interesting that Initialize Data succeeds on some, and throws warnings on others.  I would expect warnings across the board as all runbooks are passing the same parameters.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:20 PM
  • very interesting indeed! .. and i did not notice it before SP1. 

Has it been implemented in SP1?

Best Regards
    Jakob Gottlieb Svendsen
    Trainer/Consultant - Coretech A/S - Blog
    MCT - MCTS - VB.NET - C#.NET - Powershell - VBScript Mastering System Center Orchestrator 2012 - 3 day workshop - worldwide training click here

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:34 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I have had a similar problem.

From what I have seen and checked so far, it appears that the runbooks that have this issue also have deleted objects and links in them. Runbooks that don't have any deleted objects in them do not have this problem.

I hope this helps..

Richard

Friday, July 8, 2016 11:56 AM
  • I have been looking into the problem of why the "Initialise data" sometimes has a warning message rather than successful.

From my testing this "warning" message occurs when new parameters have been added to the initialise data activity, but the "invoke runbook" activity from the calling runbook hasn't been updated.

To resolve this I did the following;

- Checked out the runbook which has the "invoke runbook" activity (NOT the runbook with the initialise data warning)
    - Opened the "invoke runbook" activity
    - Checked that the new parameter(s) that have been added are shown in the list list
    - Clicked on "Finish"
    - Checked in the Runbook

This resolved the problem for me. I hope it helps others.

Richard

Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:29 AM