none
Can i backup a sysprepped Computer with wbadmin

Question

• Hi there,

i want to make a backup of a sysprepped system (oobe enabled).

Can i use wbadmin to create a complete windows system image to another partition?

I do not want to use any third party software to capture the sysprepped system.

Would be nice if i can use wbadmin for that to create a full windows system restore image.

When i boot from a windows 10 dvd i cannot use wbadmin to create a backup (some wbadmin features seemed to be unavailable in winpe).

Maybe someone knows a solution for that?

Thank you

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You could prefer to use the built-in system image backup utility. It's still available in Windows 10.

In addition, if you want to capture the image, just use the DISM command instead of backup feature.

Capture Images of Hard Disk Partitions Using DISM

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/capture-images-of-hard-disk-partitions-using-dism

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

my goal is to create a backup from a system that is already sysprepped.

so i cannot use the normal backup and restore method. so i tried to use the wbadmin command

in front of the oobe dialog. i also tried to use wbadmin offline. both methods wont work for me.

I would like to create a backup with wbadmin that could be used later to restore some kind of factory default, where the user has the oobe dialog.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:21 AM
  • in front of the oobe dialog. i also tried to use wbadmin offline. both methods wont work for me.

So have you tried it?

How did you configure the command? What's the error message?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Usind wbadmin in front of the oobe results in an image where you get an "there was an unexpected shutdown previously". I do not want this message in an image wich is for our customers.

Using wbadmin offline does not work at all. looks like you are not allowed to make offline backups with wbadmin.

I always used this command: "wbAdmin start backup0 -backupTarget:B: -include:C: -allCritical"

Monday, April 24, 2017 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

Did you mean run this command before OOBE after sysprep in WinPE?

If yes, that is not supported.

Since this command is not available in WinPE environment.

If it's not in WinPE, it works fine under normal Windows system.

What's the meaning the in front of OOBE?

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:06 AM