Check Disk Error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1: Round Two RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have reviewed the Microsft.com threads about the question of how to fix the problem of receiving a Check Disk, 766f6c756d652e63 3f1, error on Windows 7 without any luck in finding any clear answers to the problem.

The error message appears as follows:

Check file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

The volume is clean.

Cannot open volume for direct access.

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.  Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.     Unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1)

I have tried running Check Disk from Safe Mode, from the installation disc, and from the system repair option on the F8 startup screen without any success in accessing drive C with Check Disk.  Even if this something that has been caused by a recently installed software program I know not any way to pin down which programs to uninstall or how to figure out which programs are complicit in causing this failure.  Could someone please me figure this Windows problem out.

It was recently suggested to me that it may help to disable the antivirus program and then reattempt a check disk operation, however this turned out to do nothing to solve the problem

Currently, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit edition) on a 232.88GB 3 partition hard drive (Toshiba MK2565GSX) that was installed a little over a month.  The partitions are organized as follows 1.)55MB (OEM Partition) 2.)RECOVERY (D:) 15.00 GB NTS Healthy (Primary Partition 3.) OS (C:) 217.83 GB NTSF Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hi BaltimoreAndrew,

First, please run System Restore to uninstall the recently installed software package.

If the issue persists, temporary uninstall the third party security software and see if the issue occurs.

Also, you can try the suggestions in this thread and see if the issue can be resolved: Check disk will not run on start up

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:44 AM