Laptop will not connect throug WIFI, yes trough LAN, keep stubborn at adquiring wrong IP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello every one
    I have a compaq Presario W6000 with XP SP3 that doesn't want to connect to any wireless.
    it founf the networks, it "connect" to them, but with "limited connectivity", ok, I look to the acquired IP and it goes like 192.254.1.34 whereas my other laptop connect to the same network as 192.168.1.33
    needless to say, that default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and mask 255.255.255.0, so I wonder why the laptop is taking this address. It is in automatic mode
    If I write manually a 192.168.1.XX adress, the message of "limited connectivity" will disappear, but still not connection (I presume I forgot something else to configure (?) ), but anyhow that is no solution as I need to connect my laptop, at home, at the uni, coffees, etc..
    Connecting the LAN wire, it works without any problem, 
    Trying to connect with a OvisLink USB wireless card, same problem
    what else can I look ?
    thanks in advance.
    ppGrnd
    Friday, July 22, 2011 4:27 PM

All replies

•   I think that you will find it is 169.254.1.34, not 192.254 etc. This is an APIPA address and it means that the request for an IP from DHCP failed.

Manual config should work (if you get it right). While you are connected by ethernet do an ipconfig /all (from a command prompt) and copy or print the output so that you know what values DHCP hands out. When you do the manual config make sure that you use the same netmask, default gateway and DNS server address as above.

As to why your machine cannot get an IP from DHCP, I don't really know. Did it ever work? Have you made any system changes recently?  

Bill
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:32 AM
  • trying and trying, I reinstall the card, (delete driver and let windows install again), and voila, then works.

I did the same with the recently installed USB ovislink, and voila, now it workds

not sure what went wrong, but now is working again .

Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:13 PM