OpsLogix Ping MP WMI issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've got the OpsLogix Ping management pack loaded in a SP1 environment pointed at 757 hosts. Occassionally it will unload after getting a errors like the three below. I've got it set to use a Win2k3 VM with a single 2.5 GHz CPU and 512M of RAM as a source for all of the pings. Any ideas why it would unload? Would that be too underpowered to handle that many WMI queries?

--- EventID 31876 - Health Service Modules ---
    Data item returned no information for parameter '$Data/Property[@Name='StatusCode']$'
    This usually indicates that the query is incorrect.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: OpsLogix.IMP.Ping.WMIPingCheck
    Instance name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Instance ID: {D16CA099-33C7-8230-2DAA-1145E0F5ECED}
    Management group: XXXXXXXX
    ---- EventID 11052 - Health Service Modules ---

Module was unable to convert parameter to a double value
    Original parameter: '$Data/Property[@Name='StatusCode']$'
    Parameter after $Data replacement: ''
    Error: 0x80020005
    Details: Type mismatch.

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: OpsLogix.IMP.Ping.WMIPingCheck
    Instance name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Instance ID: {D16CA099-33C7-8230-2DAA-1145E0F5ECED}
    Management group: XXXXXXXX

Following by EventID 1103 from the Health Service as follows -

Summary: 753 rule(s)/monitor(s) failed and got unloaded, 1 of them reached the failure limit that prevents automatic reload. Management group "KIRKLAND". This is summary only event, please see other events with descriptions of unloaded rule(s)/monitor(s).

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 9:21 PM

Answers

• It looks like the issue was a limitation in SCOM SP1 in terms of a dependency monitor not being able to have more than 800+ contributors from what the I was able to learn after opening a ticket with product support. I ended up splitting the targets as originally recommended by OpsLogix.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi J --

We've seen occassions where underpowered hardware and the processor intensive WMI call that the Ping monitor does causes problems. However, to be certain, could you run the "Failed rules/monitors" tasks on that agent from the Console and see whether the OpsLogix WMI PingCheck has been unloaded, or that others (and not the OpsLogix) one have been unloaded?

Alternatively, I know that Opslogix provides support via support@opslogix.com, also for this free Ping MP.

Thanks, Maarten
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:10 PM
  • Would also get the WMI hotfix on to your boxes if you haven't already. Kevin's got good info on general hotfixes to apply  here.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:57 AM
  • It looks like the issue was a limitation in SCOM SP1 in terms of a dependency monitor not being able to have more than 800+ contributors from what the I was able to learn after opening a ticket with product support. I ended up splitting the targets as originally recommended by OpsLogix.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:31 AM