Sometimes (not always) Outlook removes [EXTERNAL] from the Subject line after I hit Reply\Forward\Reply All RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is an Outlook "issue" (we use Office 2016), but I am stumped. I know this issue is not caused by a Transport or Outlook rule. It only happens with some customers we deal with, not everyone. We are in a Hybrid environment with all mailboxes in O365. We use a device to put [EXTERNAL] in the Subject line for email form the outside, works great. I will get a response to an email that I sent a customer (this happens to all of us, not just me). It will have [EXTERNAL] in the Subject line, which it should. If I open it up and select Reply (or Forward\Reply All) the [EXTERNAL] is missing from the Subject line (the other text is present in the Subject line). All I've done is opened it up and hit Reply....I haven't sent it. It does it in the desktop Outlook app and in web mail. We only have 2 email admins, we've not touched the Exchange box or anything in O365. Everything on the Internet I've read about says to check Transport rules and or Outlook rules. I've done that even though this is not always type situation. It will always do  it for the same customers, but not always for everyone. I'd be curious if anyone has some insight on this.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2020 11:10 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Welcome to our forum. Here we mainly focus on general issues about Outlook desktop client.

>>It does it in the desktop Outlook app and in web mail. 
    According to your descriprion, it seems that this issue can also be reproduced in your webmail, right? If so, I'm afraid that the key of your issue may be not related to your Outlook client. And as I know, from the perspective of the Outlook client, there is no related options which may cause issues like this.

>>We use a device to put [EXTERNAL] in the Subject line for email from the outside, works great.
    >>It will always do  it for the same customers, but not always for everyone.
    To better solve your issue, it is suggested for you to contact the administrator of the device you mentioned above and check the settings related to those same customers to see if you can get more useful information.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:35 AM