none
Power Query - Connectin to Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise) RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to connect to a Sybase ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise) database. I have the correct Sybase client drivers installed on my machine, but I keep getting this error message:

DataSource.Error: Sybase SQL Anywhere: Unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'iAnywhere.Data.SQLAnywhere'.
    This error may have been the result of provider-specific client software being required but missing on this computer.  To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'Sybase SQL Anywhere Client Software': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=324846

Is there a limitation of the Sybase database types that can be connected? 

Has anyone else been successful in connecting to Sybase ASE?

The error references SQLAnywhere and I have found posts about connecting to Sybase IQ, but in my case I need to connect to a Sybase ASE server is this supported?

Friday, May 1, 2015 4:59 PM

Answers

• I think Power Query has direct support for only SQL Anywhere and not Sybase ASE. You could use ODBC to connect to ASE, but that currently requires you to write SQL to fetch the data.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 10:25 AM

All replies

• Are you sure you have the provider installed? In this case, you should also make sure that you have the 64-bit version installed.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:05 AM
  • I think Power Query has direct support for only SQL Anywhere and not Sybase ASE. You could use ODBC to connect to ASE, but that currently requires you to write SQL to fetch the data.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 10:25 AM
  • Yes I have the 64 bit provider installed correctly.  I have confirmed it by connecting through other applications.
    Monday, May 4, 2015 11:16 AM
  • This is what I was what I thought.  The documentation is not very clear.

I have been able to connect through ODBC, but like you said you have to write SQL.  I'm investigating this for business users and having them write SQL to get their data is not a good end user solution. :-(

Is there any plan to support Sybase ASE in the future?

Monday, May 4, 2015 11:20 AM
  • Interesting. I had this exact same thing working well six months ago, using Office 2013 and Sybase ASE. I know it was working because I created some complicated DAX and data models that were populated with queries from Sybase. Those queries now all break, and I can't even edit them to convert them to ODBC queries to Sybase. The main difference is that my machine is now 64 bit office and 64 bit drivers.  I've got days of work invested in a project that I can't access now, with no warning. Why doesn't query recognize Sybase ASE any more?
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:24 PM