none
Error 360: The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to modify a protection group and add a new server but I keep getting this error below. I have 6 TB of free space so thats not really the issue. I saw the following article (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/7e8b2946-0a12-4888-97e5-1ef8d1abbcb7/) that says to manually extend the volume with diskpart but in this case he is modifying an existing volume not trying to create a new one. Anyone have any idea how to create this? can I manually create the volumes and then associate them with the server I wish to protect?

Modify protection group: File Servers failed:

Error 360: The operation failed due to a virtual disk service error

Error details: VdsError:The specified disk extent size exceeds the size of free disk space.

(0x80042515)

Recommended action: Retry the operation.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:44 PM

Answers

• Can you try to reduce/increase the size of the allocation? There was a bug in VDS wrt handling of volumes which ended in the last few MBs on a disk. The reduction/increase in the allocated size will cause spanning or remove the volume from the edge case.

Thanks,

Kapil

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:25 AM

All replies

• Can you try to reduce/increase the size of the allocation? There was a bug in VDS wrt handling of volumes which ended in the last few MBs on a disk. The reduction/increase in the allocated size will cause spanning or remove the volume from the edge case.

Thanks,

Kapil

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:25 AM
  • I also have just experienced this issue. I have the same problem when I try and modify a Protection Group to add a new server that requires protection (not an existing server).

I have a little over 1TB of free space within the DPM Storage Pool Disk; much more than is required by the server I am trying to add to the DPM Protection Group.

My DPM environment is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard (with all the latest DPM 2010 hotfixes). The server I am trying to add to the protection group is Windows Server 2008 (x86) Standard

Has anyone reached a positive conclusion for a solution to this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Nick

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Taking the drive offline in Disk Management, rescanning disks, end placing the drive back online worked for me.
    Friday, June 5, 2015 3:58 PM