none
GPO Assigned Applications not Deploying. GPO shows in GPRESULT but MSI not in GPRESULT /H

Question

• I have tried deploying an MSI at a client but the MSI is not picked up on the client or deployed. The GPO is applied but when running a gpresult /h the MSI is not present.

Other GPOs are applying OK and I have created a new GPO with other non Software Deployment settings and applied fine.

I have checked/tried:

• Checked DCDIAG on DC (single DC domain) and OK. Confirmed nothing in FRS or any other obvious issues.
    • Checked DNS for any old DC entries (recent DC move from SBS).
    • Created a new share confirming permissions fine (Auth Users) and tried deploying in a new GPO from there.
    • Checked connectivity from the PC all OK.
    • Enabled Gpsvc.log and again can see it see the GPO but nothing else.

Nothing is logged for the application deployment in the System, Application or Group Policy logs on the PC Im testing from (this is not working for all PCs at the site though).

Is there some further logging I can check or enable to troubleshoot further?

• Edited by A Wade Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:04 AM

All replies

• Hi There, 

Have you set the .msi to install silently? Also another thing to check is your security filtering and does the OU you assigned the GPO have workstations in them? 

You can also try GPO modeling / GPO results. 

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Check the below article and verify the possible reasons:

Top 5 Reasons Group Policy Software Installation Is Not Working

https://deployhappiness.com/top-10-ways-to-troubleshoot-software-deployment/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:32 AM
  • There's no set to install silently. It's assigned via Software policy in a GPO.

GP modeling shows it should deploy to the client. GP results shows the GPO is applied but nothing is deployed or logged.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Hi Alvin

I had already gone through this and it does not help with this issue.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

To move on, please do the following test:

1. Try to disable UAC and see if application installs properly.

2. In the GPO which applies to that specific computer, add the following setting:

Computer Settings -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon - > Enabled

Computer-Assigned Applications Do Not Install

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978397.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, October 6, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Yes I do still require assistance. As advised nothing at all is logged so it's not some UAC prompt or waiting for network (Which I have tried).

Where can I find more logging or something to troubleshoot? As currently just nothing is logged about this but it should be as the GPO is applied.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:23 AM