none
Description for NON-reserved clients, How to get it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

question about server 2012 DHCP.

As we know any can set description for any reserved leases, I do this for 1, 3 and 4 line (see following pict).

And until today I think I can't set any description in DHCP server for DHCP clients without reservation.

But today I get the following (see 2 line in picture):

There is not Reservation for Workstation (K83727 MAC:d8c... ) in DHCP, but somehow this record get description filled!!

Where this settings can be configure? I want do this for all others workstations for simplest debugging if I need it in future. 

Additional information -  there is one other record like above in DHCP server Lease list, but this is for network HP printer and only for one from many. Workstation is member of active directory, HP printer is not, just simple network printer.

p.s. in my situation - for workstation K83727 description show %Username%, possible I manually add it somewhere in the past in workstation ... somewhere!?.
    Monday, September 11, 2017 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Hi,
    I have searched a lot on my DHCP server.
    Possible location of the description like below:
    Open you ADUC-> computers container -> select your machine-> properties-> description

The second possible location is under DHCP server IP  settings, right-click the IPV4 then selected “Predefined options and values”, see figure below:

Besides, if your new DHCP lease has this event?

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 15, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi, 

@Frank - thank You for assistance, but this didn't help, in both places You show is empty. In some times I use computer description, but it's never shows in dhcp leases as description. 

And this is only for one non-reserved pc account. Give additional (the same) picture. Sort by expiration. And only ONE lease has this description in all my scopes.

excuse my delay, i cant get notice about Your reply... :-(

• Edited by mocha_lv Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:51 AM incorrect words: change blank -> empty
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.
    Here is the link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Frank

Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:41 AM
  • Is I understand correct - You suggest to me open case for 499$?

Thank, but no.

I just try find out this functionality for easiest future dhcp management process. It's not a problem, just feature that we may use, if we know how it works. 

For now, in dhcp lease list, I can see workstation name and ip addresses and it's not so easy to 'connect' this information with workstation OU or any %username%, because I need additional open 'Users and Computers' and find it. If we understand how to use description for Non-Reserved IP address pool, then 'knit together' actual IP with user/OU unit will be already on the dhcp address leases list.

p.s. if no-one interesting in this, maybe this is not so big problem. ;-)

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:58 AM

• Hi,

Based on my research, there is no built-in tool to achieve the function.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Frank

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:17 AM