none
How to restore encrypted tape on another DPM? RRS feed

• Question

• Need urgent help, as I posted our DPM crashed as and OS corrupted as well.

DPMDB backup is on Tape which is in library right now. Tape is encrypted, not with DPM server certificate but key provided by tape itself. So how to recover this?

1) If we build new DPM server to restore DPMDB, should it be with same server name? 

2) How encrypted tape will work with new DPM.

3) There was no issue with storage pool and there are around 1000 Volumes on it, will these be affected?

3.1 ) If I re install OS with new and install of DPM and restore DPMDB to it, Will all dynamic volumes will be accessible?  These all volume information is in DPMDB or in Windows ? Just curious about if I reinstall OS what will happen to Storage pool and volumes.

• Edited by V Jay Rana Friday, October 17, 2014 7:55 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:30 PM

All replies

• 1) yes, use same name, same DPM Version, Same SQL Version
    2) if not with DPM, cannot say, should work with same library
    3) if you doing your recovery correct, disk backup will not be lost. run dpmsync. -sync, so all RP's from DB will be matched to Disk

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    DPMDB backup is on Tape which is in library right now. Tape is encrypted, not with DPM server certificate but key provided by tape itself. So how to recover this?
    >snip<

Please work with the tape library vendor to ensure the tapes can be read after a server rebuild.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 4:57 PM